Thursday, March 28, 2024

Thrifty and Frugal Thursday

 Thrifty and Frugal  


Another week has gone by since my last Thursday post, which I actually did on Friday. Guess I got my days confused.


Today has clouded up and is really quite cool with the wind. I guess the snow that has been predicted is on it's way. I just hope we don't get too bad a storm that it prevents Kris from getting home or Kurt and his students from getting to their plan from Calgary on time (supposed to be very icy there). I am keeping my phone close so that any messages that come through can be read quickly. I had to move the bird feeder from its mounting as the wind had started to blow it off.

We have had Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers at the suet out front for most of the winter. Harvey decided to make a bird house for them (well one set at any rate). Thrifty man is using up bits of wood from his workshop downstairs. He plans on hanging it out near the suet. He also plans on taking down one of the nests out there and cleaning it out. Having our feathered friends visit is a very simple pleasure. I will be getting ready for the return of the Hummers and other such birds as well.

Thrifty and frugal habits are helping keep bills down once again. Lights are off in rooms not in use, and since winter seems to be sticking around I have still been putting out the draft dodgers to keep the cold air from coming inside.

Shopping my fridge and freezers as well as the pantry to use items up. My grocery shopping has been held to just a few meat items that are on sale each time I go. Now that the upright meat freezer is organized and inventoried it will be so much easier to use things up.

I have been shopping my yarn stash and found enough yarn of the right type to knit two tank tops for the summer. I did purchase some cotton yarn to make another, but I am sure I can find enough of the type I need to make 4. I am very short on the tank top summer type shirts this year. 

Still hanging clothing on the lines downstairs, I can hardly wait until I can hang things outside, thus getting all the washing dry at the same time. 

I have started to figure out what it costs per our dinner meals. I would like to get it down to about $3 or $4 per meal and our daily meal costs down to less than $10 each day. 

I am making more of our sweets and desserts as well as bread products. I am going to try and make new and interesting types of bread. 

I mended a couple of seams and replaced some elastic in a pair of Harvey's pajamas. 

Worked on various projects around the house and have tried to figure out ways to get my life simpler. I am still thinking about the loom versus the heat press but am leaning more and more towards a loom.

The one unfrugal thing I did this week was purchase a duvet and duvet cover. Harvey wanted something like we had when in a hotel, so I got that for him. He says it makes doing the bed in the morning so easy. Now Harvey likes it, me, well I am not so sure.


I was asked the name and author of the book on Simpler Living I am reading once again. It is entitled Simpler Living and is written by Jeff Davidson. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.



11 comments:

  1. I hope everyone stays safe and that the weather doesn't get too bad.
    Yes, indeed, birds are so joyful for the spirit. I love watching and listening.
    Have a good evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get downy woodpeckers and nuthatches at our suet feeder all the time and they're so much fun to watch.
    A criteria I often use when purchasing meat is to work out the price per serving and if it goes over our limit we won't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like winter is not quite ready to let go just yet, in your corner of the world. It's great that you have enough yarn to start knitting yourselves a couple of summer tops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a few inches of snow overnight. I"m not sure what the highways are like this morning though I'm sure there will be sufficient traffic for Kris. Wishing both of your sons safe travels!
    I had no idea that woodpeckers would actually nest in bird houses. I guess they need somewhere to shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the storm turns out to be less bothersome than predicted. I just requested that book from the library. Thanks for sharing the title.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think of you when I hear the weather forecast out west. Yes, you still seem to have winter sticking around. I love reading your thrifty ways. I need to dig deeper in the freezer, thankfully a stand up one these days so things don't get lost in the deep bottom. Kudos to Harvey for looking out for our feathered things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been so busy this week, Jackie. We also love birds here too, how sweet that Harvey is building them a new birdhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had friends visit us last night. They live close to the Calgary airport. We are 35 km away at the other end of the city. They said the roads were fine. There was a couple of cm. of snow over night and a few flakes coming down right now. The news says the roads are fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jackie, We went to the nursery today, and not much new going on there, pansy's mostly. I wanted a Hyacinth, & we could find any, mostly they were just potted up and were small. I think because Easter was early. I don't see many woodpeckers around, every once in a while they come to the feeder, we enjoy feeding our birds too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are getting a huge down pour of rain, and potentially thunder & lightning tomorrow. We've had a very wet winter/start of spring. I'm ready for some sun!

    I'd be interested in the bread recipes for anything you like. The teens can eat a lot!
    (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so looking forward to some warmer weather. Our clocks went forward last night, so at least we get an extra hour of daylight at the end of each day, but a bit of sunshine would be glorious.

    ReplyDelete