Friday, January 19, 2024

Frugal Friday

 


Well, I guess one could say the temperature is going up. Still chilly with the wind (-28C right now), but the sun is shining and that makes me happy.

So what frugal things have I been up to this week.

1.  Went 2 days beyond my usual shopping day. It meant changing my list as what was on sale when I made it was no longer on sale. I am really trying to stick to purchasing sale items only, unless it is milk (never on sale), fruit or produce. That meant no meat this week at all. Nothing on sale that we needed.

2.  Using up pantry and freezer items. I made bran muffins and pumpkin muffins to use for breakfasts and for snacks. I will probably make a coffee cake soon to use up the sour cream as it is just over its best before date.

3.  Used up quite a bit of the cotton yarn I reclaimed and some that I have had in storage for awhile. There are some small balls left of certain colours, so in a month or two I will knit some funky coloured dish cloths. Must use everything up.

4.  Eating leftovers for lunches.

5.  Bake to making bread once again. At least until the second week in February. Hubby will not be able to eat much bread especially the whole wheat I make and there is no way I could eat a full loaf by myself.

6.  Filled some containers that were getting low with pasta, whole wheat flour and bread crumbs.


So that is my frugal week so far along with all the usual frugal things we do like turning off lights, opening the drapes on sunny days to take advantage of our south facing window, and trying different meatless meals where I can sneak them past Harvey.


Everybody have a wonderful day/evening.

God bless.

7 comments:

  1. We reached -17C this afternoon with windchill around -23C. It felt practically balmy out there when I went out to shovel the driveway. I hadn't done when it was so cold so I was clearing the accumulation over the past week or so.
    But it wasn't a frugal outing, as I tapped the fence with my side mirror and the darn thing (plastic) broke. I was able to tape it up for now, but will need to make an appointment with an auto body shop to get it replaced soon.
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still cold here - looking forward to next week, as we get a warm up.
    Just using up all the bits of stuff. Stayed home all week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all sounds brilliant, Jackie. Do you manage to sneak meatless meals past Harvey very often? xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our little bit of snow has gone, but it is so cold. I go out every morning to remove ice from the birdbath. I slice a big loaf of bread and put it in the freezer to take out a slice as I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did a big shop last week but decided to do another small one this week to take advantage of a good sale on spare ribs. I fell down on the frugality and succumbed to buying myself a bouquet of tulips. Didn't need them but they sure do make me feel like spring might come at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made the most of being at home & the cold weather! I love pumpkin muffins. I think we're out of pumpkin in the freezer, and just have my nemesis - over ripe bananas - waiting to be used in baked goods.

    ReplyDelete