Friday, January 26, 2024

Recipe Friday

 


Since Thursday seems to be the day I post my thrifty and frugal happenings, I thought I might change my Friday post up a little bit. 

I was asked to share my potato soup recipe so here it is.


Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Soup

1 finely chopped onion

2 cans of chicken broth (I used OXO bouillon packages 4 of them and enough water to make 21 oz of broth)

2 cups of water

5 large potatoes (I used 8 medium sized), diced

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp dill weed

1/2 tsp pepper

2 cups of cream or half and half

1 12 oz can of evaporated milk

Cook onions in a bit of margarine or butter until soft. Transfer to a slow cooker and stir in the chicken broth, water, herbs, salt and potatoes. Cover and cook on low 6 to 7 hours. 

Pour in cream (or half and half). Stir into the soup along with the evaporated milk. Cover and cook at least 30 more minutes. 

Turn off slow cooker and allow to cool slightly. Using a blender or a stick blender, blend the soup until smooth or leave it chunky if you prefer.

You can serve right away, or freeze. When serving top with chopped cooked bacon and a sprinkle of cheese.


Hope you all like it. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


10 comments:

  1. That sounds very comforting and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy-peasy! Sounds super easy and frugal and TASTY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jackie. I've not made it that way in a crock pot before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! thanks so much for posting this (I had rquested it). Will make tomorrow, though with only 2% milk since that's all I have on hand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mix a tiny amount of flour into the milk to help thicken the mixture (or use cornstarch if you have it). I would also say to use some more potatoes as well. When you blend them up that will help thicken the mixture. I actually mixed 1% milk with the evaporated milk to make enough....

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I've added that note to the recipe printout

      Delete
  5. Your recipe sounds very much like ours only we often add chunks of cooked ham to add more flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, you make a lot of soup! It makes sense, since you are able to freeze it. My son isn't a huge fan of soup, so my batches are enough to provide lunches for me for a few days. I'm tired of it by then, and there isn't enough room in the fridge freezer.
    The warm up has started here, we even saw a bit of melting today. Crazy weather for the end of January.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jackie, thank you as always for popping over. The larger ornaments I may put on the tree for the holidays. I used my moms vintage cookie cutters, this dough recipe works up so nice and was easy peasy. I do love taters in any form, this would be good weather for making some soup, my husband like potatoe soup.

    ReplyDelete