Monday, January 22, 2024

Menu Monday


 

Another week has arrived and I have already made a few menu changes and some plans for what I call batch cooking (but really all it is, is making large batches even larger). This time my batch cooking will consist of making soups. There are potatoes that need using, and some ham broth that needs to be made into something scrumptious.


Monday

Sausage Casserole (this will use up some potatoes as well as some of the carrots). 

 

Tuesday

I will use up the last bit of turkey/chicken in a casserole and make a tossed salad to go along with it.


Wednesday

Leftovers from Monday.


Thursday

Leftovers from Tuesday.


Friday

We love the Salmon ball recipe from the Casserole book in the Company's Coming series. Have not had it in awhile so will make this for our supper. Served with the remains of the salad fixings as well.


Saturday

Soup making day, but we will probably have the Split Pea Soup made with the ham broth. All extra soup will be packaged up and put in the big freezer for meals down the road. This includes the potato soup I plan on making. I am thinking Grilled Cheese Sandwiches to go along with our soup.


Sunday

Roast Pork, roasted potatoes, roasted carrots.


I was asked if I could share the cough drop recipe so here it is,


Homemade Cough Drops

1 peppermint tea bag

1 chamomile tea bag

1/2 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp cinnamon

3/4 cup boiling water

3/4 cup honey

Steep peppermint, chamomile tea bags, cinnamon and ginger in boiling water for 10 minutes or more. If using loose leaf tea use 1 tbsp of each kind of tea and after steeping strain off the water into a small saucepan. Add the honey and heat over medium until it comes to a boil. Using a candy thermometer continue boiling until mixture reaches 300F. Remove from heat and allow to cool 5-10 minutes until the mixture starts to get syrupy. Drop by small spoonfuls onto parchment paper and let cool.

Dust with cornstarch to absorb condensation and prevent them from sticking together. Store in an air tight container.


These, as well as a couple of desserts will also be made this week.


Everybody have a wonderful day.

God bless.

9 comments:

  1. What a neat recipe for cough drops! Your meals sound good too. I'm going to make soup this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean Pare's Company's Coming cookbooks are my go-tos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, your menu plan looks good. Thank you for the cough drop recipe - I would really like to try making them, just for the fun of it. I think they might might nice gifts at Christmas time too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow on the cough drops! I’m going to keep the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea one could make homemade cough drops. I made a small batch of chicken & rice soup on Saturday. This time of year, I really enjoy a hot bowl of soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the cough drop recipe. I made horehound candy years ago - we always used it for coughs. It has been years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. got a bag of turkey in the freezer that needs using up, may make some soup with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your soups sound good. Great idea for cough drops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That all sounds absolutely delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete