Thursday, January 4, 2024

Thrifty Thursday

 


I think it is time to remind myself of what thrift and being thrifty really means.

According to my Collins Gage Canadian Dictionary thrift is economical management; the habit of saving. It then goes through adjectives, synonyms, and the plant we can find at our nurseries come spring. 

Now I am pretty sure the economical management part I usually post under Frugal Friday so this year I am going to try and mention all the ways I economically manage the week I am leaving behind. 

So while this week was not really as thrifty as I would have liked due to circumstances beyond our control, in retrospect it wasn't that bad.


Firstly I needed new lenses and now that I have two pairs of glasses (one of which is very old) I opted not to purchase new frames but to use my old ones. Still had to pay quite a bit for the lenses, but in this small city that is to be expected. Yet I probably saved at least $700.00. I will continue doing this until the lens difference is too great for the old ones.

Fuel is still low here and I decided to take advantage of the fact by topping up the tank. We didn't really need it, but I couldn't resist the very much lower price. Now we should be okay for the entire month of January.

I am once again saving the bits and bobs of yarn in some bags. I will more than likely do a knitted blanket or two once again.

Saved some elastics and twist ties from various bags and such. 

I managed to put $70.00 in my savings envelope and $2.25 in the change jars. I am sure that this week I will find more change hidden in strange places here in the old homestead.

I think that is the extent of my thriftiness for this week.


Everybody have a wonderful day. 

God bless.



5 comments:

  1. The term economical management may be why they used to make girls take home economics classes in school when I was growing up. The boys had to take a shop class which seemed much more exciting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I replaced just the lenses when I had a new prescription last time. FAR cheaper and I really like my frames. Like you, I plan to keep doing that as long as they'll let me - or until the frames fall apart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been switching my lens into two pairs of old frames for a few years now. But this last change required a new set of frames as the old ones were so bent that they were beyond redemption. I went with the cheapest pair of frames I could find and it was still over $900 (after insurance) for both. It's ridiculous what progressive lens costs!
    I agree that being thrifty doesn't preclude spending when it is necessary.
    Stay warm - it's supposed to start getting colder this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done that as well with my frames, well, Bill and I both. We like the frames and there is no damage to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good thrifty start to the New Year, Jackie, especially the glasses. I need to go for an eye test soon.

    ReplyDelete