Saturday, August 10, 2024

Saturday Roundup

 


It has been a busy week here on the old homestead, as we have the house to ourselves for a bit and we are not planning on going anywhere for a bit. Our next away time isn't until September when we go to Cypress Hills Provincial Park and perhaps visit our two sons as well.


I have been dehydrating herbs almost every day. I say almost as I took a break from that today, but will be back at it tomorrow. 

Also each day seems me out picking at least a little bit from the garden. Things are not growing as well as usual, so it is moving ahead slowly, but surely. 

Lots done in the house though. I have cleared a space in my sewing/craft room for the loom stand, still need to do a bit of vacuuming though and perhaps a troll through the bottom of the closet as well.

Salves are being made. This week I managed to get two done and then in two weeks I get to make two more. Hoping to dry enough mint to make at least one more.


First I made the lemon balm salve and then moved on. 
Then the plantain salve was made. I only three containers, just to see how they work.


I plan on adding salves to Kurt and Kris's Christmas baskets this year.

I also finished the second scarf using the exact same colours of yarn as the first. Both of these will go in those baskets as well.



I finished had quilting the outside quilt by using a simple X in the center of each block, and the binding just needs hand sewing on. That will happen tomorrow.


Of course I have been working on those mittens for Kurt's school as well. Seems to be a never ending project. But I am almost finished the first size.


Fifteen pairs waiting to be sewn up, and 


Number 16, which should be finished tonight. I plan on getting them sewn up over the next few days (along with hand sewing the binding). Should be starting the smallest size mitts very soon. 

I also did a bit of garden processing as well.


Pickles in a Bucket are made and in the fridge.


All in all a pretty good work for a week. Mind you the mittens have taken a bit longer then the week.


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.



8 comments:

  1. My goodness, what a productive and satisfying week. You put me totally to shame, you really do. Consider me filled with admiration. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've certainly had a busy week, no surprise there as you always do. I'm going to have to bring in some of the herbs as they are starting to flower. I've chosen to freeze the parsley, but will look at trying the oregano and thyme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've certainly had a busy week, Jackie. Those salves are so interesting to me and they would make a lovely addition to gift basket. My friend makes fried plantains and tells me about them. I've never tried one, but am curious about them. I hope you have another good week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you share how you make the lemon balm lotion and what you use it for. I have tons of lemon balm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I was more like you. Amazing all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lot to show for your busy week, well done! Love all those mittens too, so nice of you to make these fir the school kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very productive few days. Can I ask, what do you use the lemon balm salve for. I always have lots of Lemon balm that grows in the garden, but don't know what to use it for.

    ReplyDelete