Thursday, August 8, 2024

Thrifty And Frugal Thursdays

 Thrifty and Frugal

Another day of catching up is happening. I think I might just have managed to do so.


So, there have been a few thrifty and frugal practices happening here.

Windows opened as it has been soooo much cooler here the last few days.

Made pickles for the winter, our fav Pickles in a Bucket. I was asked if we ever got cucumbers that were really bitter and the answer is yes. My Mom had an old wives tale she used on all her cucumbers when she sliced them. The ends that were sliced off, the cut edges were rubbed together for about 4 times on each end. I swear she never had a bitter cucumber and she always said doing this removed the bitterness from them. 

Made some of the salves today.

Ate out of the freezer the whole time we had company, and the leftovers have been used in other meals.

Hung clothes on the lines downstairs as we were getting a bit of rain on Monday.

Okay, this might gross some of you out, but during the Covid toilet paper shortage I took some flannel and cut it into squares to use for my number one in the bathroom. So I pulled them out (they had never been used) and am trying them out in the bathroom. I go through a great deal of toilet paper here, so I thought I would try and see how these would work. I have a small pail with a bit of bleach and water in the bathroom and after peeing I wipe and drop the square into the pail. Harvey is shaking his head, but I already see we are using much less toilet paper. I may have to find some more scrap flannel to make a few more though. It isn't that we can't afford as much toilet paper as we need, I just want to cut down on single use items as much as is humanly possible. It also helps me use up those scraps that can't be used elsewhere, and keeps them out of the landfill. I will also only do this when we do not have company.


Off to get supper started and then back to do some blog reading until it is close to being ready.


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.


6 comments:

  1. Some of your ideas are incredible! I would never think to do that but that is not a critique. You are doing great, not only for you but for the environment too. Yes, Bill would be shaking his head at me too. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually reusable toilet cloths are coming back. I knew a young gal at my church who had six kids - she used them. You can even buy them on Amazon. It beats using newspaper! 📰

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea I do the same I keep mine in a small container with a lid so still looks neat. First saw it with a home schooling mum it does help to keep costs down with everything going up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see no difference between using the cloths and cloth diapers for babies. I only used Pampers when my children went to daycares that required them. I'm not sure I'm ready for such a change, but it is something to think about.
    My mom always did the same thing with cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the toilet cloths are a great idea, although I don't know if I could do it myself. Who knows though, if we couldn't buy or afford toilet paper, I'm sure we would try it. Good for you for giving it a try. It doesn't gross me out, I just don't think I could do it unless I had to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If we weren't still washing most of our laundry by hand, I would be tempted to go the cloth route too. I refuse to pay the high costs to do a load of laundry in our building and mostly only do the sheets and towels when necessary. Taking it to the laundromat is even more costly. We've discovered that we don't get that dirty and washing by hand is simple and actually takes less outlay of time when you count all the trips up and down the stairs we'd have to do if we used the machines.

    ReplyDelete