Thursday, August 15, 2024

Thrifty and Frugal Thursdays

Thrifty and Frugal


Wow, one could say we are halfway through the month now. Days are whizzing by and in just under a month we head out for a bit of a holiday. 

Frugal and thrifty are the goals this month, as well as trying to keep bills as low as we possibly can. Not easy as the temperatures are not co-operating at all, which means the air conditioner is running pretty steadily from late morning to late evening. It is cooling off a bit at night so windows are opened at that time, if there is a good breeze things cool off in the house overnight.

I am working on making some of my own seasoning mixes now. Hoping that this manages to save us a bit of cash in the long run. I will be saving some small glass jars for this purpose and using my label maker so I know what I have made. This week it was taco seasoning. Who knows what I will make next? What seasoning mixes do you recommend?

Picking from the garden to stretch out our meals a bit more. 

Picked some crabapples from the tree in the neighbours yard. Tomorrow I make jelly after shopping.

Finished the larger sized mitts, and now using some of the remaining bits, bobs and orphan yarn skeins to make the smaller ones.

Cleaning out the sewing/craft room closet and finding a few items I had forgotten about. I need to decide if I will use them or not over the next year.

Watering my plants every third day instead of every second day so as to save on the water bill. 

Making large batches of food so as to have meals to use when I just don't want to cook. These meals are packaged up, labelled and put in the fridge freezer. 

Of course I am still taking advantage of the nice weather to hang clothes on the line to dry.

Reading free books I downloaded onto my ereader.

Made my grocery list using the sale flyers.

Took some items to a drop box as I decluttered my closet a bit more.

Bought a new cutting mat for quilts from Amazon and saved about $25.00 from purchasing it in a physical store. 

Found a box of scarves that I can use as little gifts for various occasions.

Darned a pair of Harvey's socks, and fixed a seam on one of my shirts. 


So, all in all, not a bad week at all.


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of good things taken care all the while, you saved. :) Not a bad week in my eyes either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about a dry mix for homemade ranch dressing? I love ranch but only homemade now since trying it. There’s no going back. It’s just fresher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've had a very frugal and productive week. My week has been very expensive with a dental extraction, but hopefully, now that has been done things will calm down a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang, you have been busy. You got a lot accomplished. It always feels good to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy girl, you've always have something on the go. Your upcoming vacation will be a nice break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You get so much done! I need to also make some spice mixes, as I dislike a couple I've bought from the store. Maybe this weekend! (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete