Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Tuesday Tidbits

 


Not too much has been happening around the old Phillips homestead. Just me spending time getting caught up on those tasks I have spoken about before.

The garden is still a bit wet so no harvesting was done. Good thing I had shopping to do, and cutting up that recycled fabric into 4 1/2" squares. Both things are completed, and I am slowly but surely getting caught up. I now only have the 2 1/2" squares to finish. Just a bit more decluttering done in the sewing/craft room.

Shopping was a surprise as things have gone up once again in price. My bread flour on sale was almost $15.00 for a 5kg bag, the same price as the regular flour on sale this week. Still I plan on purchasing another bag or two and putting them in the freezer for winter baking.

Since I didn't purchase meat my costs were low for what should be my last purchase of the month. My bill was only $172.00 about $100.00 less than usual (this is in Canadian dollars). I picked up some pantry items as well that were on sale. 

Hoping that our garden produces enough veggies to see us through the winter months, or that I can purchase items at a reduced rate. Really want to come in under budget for the year here as medical/dental expenses for me will be pretty darn high this year.

I think that this year is going to finish off as a challenge to almost everyone on keeping costs down as much as is possible. Really, my thoughts behind this are to keep our savings at a decent level as much as is possible, and trying to leave a much smaller carbon footprint so as we can travel a bit more before we are too old. 

There will be pictures of the weeks happenings come Saturday, well at least I hope. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.

8 comments:

  1. I was just as shocked by the grocery prices Jackie. I haven't been to Walmart in a while and was shocked to see how much everything has increased. I've slowly been buying flour, thanks to you. We can just try our best to keep costs down wherever we can. Have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life keeps throwing curve balls - we just keep plugging away and doing what we can with what we have. You are doing good. Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had rain over night so weed pulling was easy. Food prices are high - it's just the way things are now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the same here in UK, prices keep rising, the cost of everything is just stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I visit a shop I am horrified by how much prices have risen, not just pennies either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Food prices are getting nuts. I just don't know where this is all headed...spoken like the old woman I am now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is soggy here, when I fed the ducks I sunk in the poo! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prices keep rising but income isn't keeping pace, despite the government patting us on the head and issuing 'cost of living' increases in our pension. The couple of additional bucks we get certainly isn't keeping pace with the actual inflation.

    ReplyDelete