Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Midweek


 I just can't believe how quickly the days are passing. Time is flying by and I wish it would slow down just a little bit. 

The smoke from the fires in Alberta has reached us. There is a haze over everything and we were told to take precautions when outside. 

So I promised to answer the questions today. First off is the recipe for Red Lentil Curry.

Red Lentil Curry

2 cups red lentils

1 large onion diced

1 tbsp. vegetable oil

2 tbsp. curry paste

1 tbsp curry powder

1 tsp ground turmeric

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp salt

1 tsp white sugar

1 tsp minced garlic (I usually sub in the equivalent in garlic powder)

1 tsp minced fresh ginger (once again I sub in the equivalent in ground)

14.25 oz. can of tomato puree (I use a small can of tomato paste and some of my frozen tomatoes...equals about a small can of tomatoes)

Wash the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear. Put lentils in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and place a cover on top, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, add water during cooking as needed to keep the lentils covered. Cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes. 

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring the onions in hot oil until caramelized, about 20 minutes.

Mix all the spices together in a bowl, stir into onions. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1-2 mins.

Stir in the tomatoes and tomato paste, remove from heat and stir into lentils. 

This makes 8 main dish servings over rice. A good hearty meal with lots to freeze.


Now glace is a bit harder to explain. It is a German dish that my grandmother and mother made (Dad would request as it comes from his side of the family). Grandma raised chickens and so it was a very inexpensive way to feed 17 people (yep, my Dad came from a huge family of which there are only 5 left). It was reasonably inexpensive when Mom made it for us as well. 

I usually describe it as a cross between rather large noodles shaped like dumplings and very heavy dumplings. The dough is stiff and made using flour and eggs and is dropped into boiling water which has diced potatoes in it. When the "glace" rise to the top and boil for a bit they are ready. Then onions are fried in butter and poured over top of the glace. Sometimes fresh bread crumbs are fried in butter and used instead of the onions. Fried eggs are served to "dip" the glace in the yolks. Not for someone who worries about cholesterol. I really shouldn't eat them but once in awhile I enjoy a food that has been past down for many generations as I know my grandma got the idea from her mom, who probably got it from her mom and so on. 

I hope that answered all the questions.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

7 comments:

  1. The smoke has reached us too - we can't smell it but it's caused a haze in the sky blocking out the sun.
    Thank you for the explanation of glace - it sounds a bit like perogies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea about the fires. That must be very worrying for you all.
    The recipes look great, thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The smoke was sure awful yesterday morning. - it took most of the day to dissipate. Sadly, I think we're going to see more of it before we get enough rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much. I will definitely be cooking this. I have so many lentils. We are also getting smoke from your fires, our valley is a haze. We need a rain storm to clean it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is crazy you would have fires after so much snow. Was it started by lightening or man made? So far so good for us. But I won't hold my breath.

    The red lentil soup sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete