Thursday, May 25, 2023

Thrifty Thursday

 


It has been a very strange day. Started off coolish and either cloudy or smoke once again. By the time I got out of the second store the sun was shining, the wind had died down and it was beginning to get pretty warm. 

After the third stop of the day it was very hot with the sun beating down so I came home and unloaded all the groceries, scanned them and had a bit of a rest. 

It was then back out to finish my errands and man was it warm. Harvey had closed all the windows and the air conditioner was still set pretty high so I lowered the temperature just a tad. Things are nice and cool in here now.

So what thrifty things have I been up to this week beyond sewing my own clothing (hopefully there will be a yard sale for fabric very soon running a bit low on certain things). 

I used the gift card I won to purchase some new runners/sneakers and some new summer sandals. I got both pair at a reduced price, plus it was Friends and Family week at our Mark's so got an extra 20% off my order...

Bought a beef brisket at $2.99 a pound and cut it in half (I managed to find a fairly small one). We will be smoking one this Sunday which should give us enough for two meals for each of us and some sandwiches for lunch.

Watering plants using the water in the rain barrel. Hopefully we get more rain soon (hearing rumbles and the sky is getting dark).

Saving twist ties, and elastics from food bags and containers. I think I just may start saving the clips on carrots and things of that nature once again. 

Planning on heading out at some point tomorrow and picking dandelions to make some more oil this year. Worked pretty good as a rub for low levels of pain. 


I had a decent sleep last night, buy getting out of bed was a dang pain. It hurt!!! My back still causes me a bit of grief, but the ribs seem to be much better.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


7 comments:

  1. We got a brief rain this morning, but it certainly heated up in the afternoon. I did turn on the a/c.
    Do tell about this dandelion oil. It sounds interesting. Would it help with your back pain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to feel the sun's warmth, crazy that the a/c needs to run so soon after the cool temps, isn't it?
    Must be Canada!
    What is involved in your dandelion oil? Sounds interesting and we have lots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're feeling better - just be careful not to overdo.
    We got a beef brisket on sale last week but not as good pricing as you got - ours was $3.99/lb. It was huge so we now have several roasts and some stewing beef in the freezer...enough to last us for months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pleased to read your ribs are getting a little better Jackie & hope the back improves soon. I have been reading quite a bit lately about all the things you can make with dandelions so I will be intrigued to see you make your oil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're feeling a little better. Have a relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat to use a gift card you won and a sale to get new shoes. You can’t beat that! I hope your back is feeling better soon and am glad your ribs are better. It seems early to be so hot already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to read that you are still in pain, do be careful not to overdo things. Dandelion oil sounds interesting, my daughter often mixes up herbal concoctions, I must ask her if she has heard of this one.

    ReplyDelete