Thursday, May 11, 2023

Thrifty Thursday

 


A few thrifty things happening here this week, and some not so thrifty, that will become thrifty later on.

It still is not nice enough to hang things on the lines outside so I am continuing to use the lines downstairs.

Using up all leftovers in other meals and cleaning out the ready meals in the chest freezer, as well as any other items that need using. 

Baking bread, muffins, turnover type items, and pies to use up pumpkin, rhubarb, and cherry pie filling that was in the chest freezer. Things are going down and I should have it cleared out before this year's harvest starts.

Kris started lots of veggies for us that we will not have to purchase starter plants for. Of course there are a few that we either saved seeds or needed to purchase.

Harvey started some garlic downstairs, and I am hoping we get a good crop from this. I had to purchase the garlic but if this works we will be set.

Sewing replacement items for my spring/summer wardrobe (pictures later probably in a couple of weeks).

Bought Kris some double sheets/pillow cases for a great on sale price with a savings of around 75%.


Now the not so thrifty things.

Working on purchasing my herb starters and flowers for the decks and yard (priceless when you live in an area that is pretty much colourless for 6 months of the year). I hope to save some of the flowers by over wintering them and of course the herbs save me from having to purchase things like sage, thyme, oregano, parsley, chives, and even dill (planning to dry that this year as well). 

Seeds are costly but in the long run will save us lots of money not having to purchase veggies and freezing the extras.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.



4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are making good progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeds are so very expensive and there are fewer in the packs, I had to get 4 packs of cut and come lettuce, I normally only require 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked up my bedding plants last week - they have definitely gone up in price. I did start some marigolds from seed I saved at home, and have a half dozen of those, as well as four I picked up at Superstore for 50 cents a piece. It appeared they hadn't been watered well enough and were looking pretty scraggly. They've come along some now and I suspect once they're in a container they will be fine.
    I agree, after a long grey winter, we need some color in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wee note about planting garlic - Resident Chef used to grow it and he always planted it outside in the fall, covered it well with leaves, and then uncovered when it showed signs of growth in the spring - harvest was usually the first part of August. I don't know if planting it inside and then transplanting will be a success but I hope you let us know.

    ReplyDelete