Sunday, October 19, 2008

Getting Caught Up

Today after Mass I decided it was time to get caught up on a few things I have managed to put off for awhile. It is the perfect day for it. Harvey has gone to Regina to see the Roughriders play, and so I have the day to myself. It isn't very often that happens, so I am going to take full advantage of the time alone.

First off I pulled the frozen carcasses of a couple of chickens out of the freezer, as well as the turkey carcass from last weekend. Into two separate stock pots they went, along with some pepper corns, bay leaves, salt, celery that needed to be used up, an some onion.

While those stock pots were bubbling away on my stove, I went out to clean up the perennial beds. You know, get all of my flowers ready for their long sleep through the winter. I managed to get all the beds done and the cut off parts into the trash. It sure looks bare out there now.

I came in and the house smelled wonderful. After cooking down the stock and removing all the meat from the bones I ended up with 4 containers of chicken stock and 4 large containers of turkey stock. Mmmmm, homemade soup coming up.

I am just letting them cool a bit before I put them in the freezer.

After I get caught up on every ones news I will be working on my knitting. I really need to finish the baby afghan I am making for Kurt to give as a gift. Then I can start on Christmas gifts.

I am off to visit all of you.

Everybody have a wonderful day. God bless.

10 comments:

  1. Jackie,

    Mmm! That soup stock looks delicious. I could go for a pot of soup right now. I've been chilly all day. It's not bad outside, but for some reason I've been chilly.

    I can't wait to see a photo of the baby afghan you're making. I don't crochet much anymore, but really should make some baby's afghans to have on hand. When I was fall cleaning the computer room I found two and am giving them to Griffyn and Tarryn for Christmas. I like to have some on hand.

    Take care and have a wonderful week, my friend.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm....I can almost smell that homemade goodness from here! Good job, Jackie! You'll be so happy to have all of those containers of wonderful homemade stock over the winter. I see lots of yummy soups and stews in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...I'm sure your house smelled wonderful!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homemade soup~ Yum! I love chicken stock for so many things. Glad you had some time to yourself...hope you were able to get LOTS done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's just nothing as good as homemade stock. I do the same thing. I have all kinds of frozen chicken carcasses, turkey, beef bones, etc. Yours looks very rich and delicious, and I know you'll enjoy it.
    Have a great week. OH, we woke up to a heavy frost! First one of the season, and I was wishing it was snow. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the prayers. I just got in lastnight. I sent your package off from Louisiana. Im sorry if it is alittle late,but I know as a Christian you understand I had to o what was right.
    Blessings,Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can just imagine how good your home smelled after coming in form outside. It's so nice to have a day to ourselves! I hope you have a wonderful day.
    Hugs,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a really productive day! Bet we hear about your soup-making day next ;)
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at all those yummies! You have been a busy girl in the kitchen. I can actually smell all those baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We can almost smell the yummy stock from the photo!! Hope you have had a great weekend!!

    blessings,
    kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete