Thursday, October 1, 2026

Thrifty and Frugal Thursdays

 Thrifty and Frugal

My goodness the weather has certainly changed. We got a bit of frost last night and today we will get more. We are covering the ground cherries to see if we can actually get a crop or at least a few that we can dehydrate and use during the winter.

The usual frugal happenings on the old homestead. I am putting up whatever I can in preparation for the winter, heck pretty much in prep for whatever is going to happen.

Clothes are being hung on the downstairs lines as the weather has not really been good to hang items outside. 

Errands once again are being done together as much as possible. 

My exercise is still walking and I managed to get the same or just above number of steps all month. This month I will add another 1k to the total and hit all those the entire month.

Organized and tidied the sewing/craft room.

Organizing the chest freezer (that still has a ways to go). 

We were under total budget last month, but I am doing a bigger stock up this month so I am hoping to be at budget or just a tad under.

Moved money into the savings account. It wasn't a great deal, but it was something.

Using up all leftovers in other meals to feed the two of us, or eating smaller amounts for my lunch. 

Cooked some ready meals for the freezer.

Will be doing some baking to use up a few things in the chest freezer. 

Working on the yarn stash, and planning some sewing to use up some of my fabric. 

Used up some embroidery thread working on the quilt blocks. 

Mended a small shrug that I knit years ago and never got around to repairing.


Now the unfrugal things. Spent way too much on groceries today, and missed a few items off my list. My back got sore so I did not want to be heaving bread flour or sugar into the cart. I can manage until the next time I go shopping. I also bought a new hand mixer. I didn't price check with other stores, just picked up the one I liked in the store. My old one the beaters were starting to rust (it is about 40 years old) and I will put it aside to use when making lotions and potions. 

Our finances have taken a real beating this quarter, mostly because of what is happening in the world. This makes it even more important that I keep to my budget as much as possible. I also have an eye appointment on Monday and I am pretty sure I need new lenses. I just hope they can put them in the frames I already have. Frames are actually what cost the most for me. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

6 comments:

  1. You have been working hard and doing all the good stuff. My budget hasn't changed much here, of course I barely go out and only grocery shop now and then.
    I hate you are already getting frost. Makes me shiver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. September kicked my butt financially also. I did a lot of Christmas shopping. Although it is budgeted for, I went over a little. The rest of the year is going to be buckle down season for sure.
    Florida had a couple of nice days but no more, lol. As per usual.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The price of groceries and the price of fuel is certainly a problem worldwide, isn't it. Our Spring weather has taken a nose dive and it's freezing cold again. So the heatpump in running all day again, but I refuse to be cold and miserable. Roll on Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a big grocery shop this week Jackie & thought how wonderful that I was under budget. Then I got home, packed it all away & realised I'd forgotten quite a lot of items that we needed. No wonder I was under budget!! At least I remembered the cat food. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frost here last night too. Hopefully it holds off for a couple more weeks but I suppose that is wishful thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it's 95 here. Fairly normal here as the Fall is our best weather for most of the state but I get sick of it. The good thing is our temps go down at night, where we can sleep with our windows open and the mornings are nice - around 60 degrees.

    ReplyDelete