Thrifty and Frugal
This is not the most thrifty or frugal week. In fact the next few weeks and into August will probably be pretty darn unfrugal with just a touch of thrifty thrown in.
I was asked to explain what Glace is. It is kind of like a very heavy noodle as it is just tablespoons of the flour/egg mixture put into boiling water with some cubed potatoes. The "glace" will float to the top when done. I usually fry some eggs to dip the glace in after putting melted butter with sautéed diced onion. Not the most healthy for the heart meal, but one my German grandmother made when money was tight. Flour was relatively inexpensive, onions and potatoes grew in her garden, the cow gave milk which could be separated into milk and cream, the cream made into butter, and the hens of course laid lots of eggs. While this meal is a bit more expensive now, it is still something I make as it brings back many memories of visiting with Grandma and Grandpa.
So what have I done that is thrifty or frugal this week?
1. Errands were combined to save on fuel.
2. I only purchased a few items of grocery as we have lots to use up (even with Kurt visiting).
3. It has rained here so I only needed to water my pots and baskets once. We got 2 1/2 inches just a couple of nights ago.
4. Harvesting some cucumbers (salad will be made once Kurt leaves as he does not like them other than in pickles or relish).
5. Picked the last head of lettuce that was ready from the garden.
6. Hung all the laundry on the lines outside.
7. Using up as much as I can when making our meals.
8. Made lemon balm and mint salves from last years harvest so nothing would go to waste.
9. Made bread crumbs from leftover buns from the reunion.
10. Used fabric scraps to make reusable facial cleansing pads.
So there you have it. Looks pretty good however in the 16 days we have had this month there has been spending 8 of those days. After our trip, I will need to buckle down and tighten the frugal belt a little bit. Got to save some cash for Kurt and Kris's birthdays, and then there is Christmas.
Everybody have a wonderful evening.
God bless.
When do you leave? You deserve this vacation. The little things before and after add up. So you should feel comfortable truly enjoying your trip w/o financial worry.
ReplyDeleteDear Jackie, I agree with Sam's comment. You are doing well in your preparations, dear friend. Take one day at a time and give yourself permission to enjoy your trip! You deserve it!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the explanation!
ReplyDeleteI think we all have those expensive weeks or months at some point. You have accomplished quite a bit on the frugal front.
ReplyDeleteI think you balanced the costly with the frugal quite well. I'm happy with myself because I made one Christmas gift and am working on another - both from my stash. The second item calls for plastic canvas which I have run out of, so I scrounged some x-ray film I've had in my stash since I did stenciling years ago and will put two or three layers together to equal the thickness of the plastic canvas. Where there's a will, there's a way!
ReplyDeleteNice work on your frugal savings. I picked up some clothes for the boys in Uniqlo (the yen was very weak against the dollar, and the clothes are cheaper to start with, since it's a local brand) & bought cologne for M at the airport (duty free). That said, I should be getting a $150 rebate back from the hotel spend, thanks to a credit card offer. And, all other expenses were covered by work. - Hawaii Planner
ReplyDeleteThat glace sounds good. Never heard of until you mentioned it a few times. You always do a good job managing your budget.
ReplyDeleteMy frugal belt can use some tightening too. It's yard sale season though and we replace items we need during the year, like Amy D did with her children's clothes and lunchboxes, so our expenses are higher at this time of year. Sounds like a good week for you with a lot of frugal goings on in your home. :)
ReplyDeleteCombining errands to save fuel is a sensible idea, one that I certajnly do. And hanging the washing outside on nice days, or on the small clothesline in the garage, if the weather is not nice. And I have made breadcrumbs before too, it's such a sensible idea.
ReplyDeleteIt still sounds like a thrifty week Jackie. You will be looking forward to your trip away. Yes there are times when we can't seem to save as much but then others when we can. xx
ReplyDelete