Saturday, April 8, 2017

Saturday Round Up

The end of the first full week of the month of April, no April showers as of yet, but there is still plenty of time.

Between bouts of dizziness I have been busy reading, knitting, cleaning, and getting a few things done in the yard. The ground is still frozen so it will be awhile before things start to grow in earnest. However, the trees are budding out, and my tulips are breaking through to sunshine. I just hope this weather is here to stay.

Friday, I joined the protest in front of our MLA's office. We all had library books and were protesting the 58 and in some cased 60 % cut in funding that our provincial government was enacting. This could mean libraries shutting down and other libraries cutting back on programming. It definitely means the end of One Library, One Card (we could get a book from any library in the province at no charge for postage or courier). We will still be able to get a book from the regional libraries, but sometimes our regional libraries did not carry what we wanted. The cut in funding also means there will be no new books or materials purchased.


Here we are outside the office.

This was taken across the street. Young and old, mom's reading to their little ones, and the clients from the group homes in the city were there as well. All told there was probably close to 200 people. Cars would honk their horns as they went by, just wish they would have joined us.

I also managed to finish these.

Eight new dishcloths!! These were made from some cotton yarn that I bought at the church rummage sale a few years ago. I always try to pick up yarn, cotton and other types whenever I can.

Now I have started my new knitted socks. I was lucky enough to be gifted a few balls of sock yarn, and bought some when they were on sale. I hope to get 4 new pairs done this month.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


2 comments:

  1. Jackie, your dizziness persists. I experienced a severe episode of dizziness ~2 yrs ago, eventually diagnosed as BPPV - benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, for which I was prescribed a drug called Serc. Now, if I experience the early signs of BPPV, I start taking Serc and haven't experienced such a debilitating episode since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you Jackie for attending the protest. Libraries are such an important community resource.

    We are having similar problems here in the UK where I've heard that some libraries are now being run by volunteers instead of paid staff.

    Having access to books is so important and not everyone can afford to buy them. I hope you have a positive outcome.

    ReplyDelete