Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Thrifty Tuesday

It was a misty, damp, snowy day today. I did manage to get my morning walk in and even added a couple of blocks to my route. I was however happy to get in out of the wind and damp. Had a cup of coffee and got to work.

I made my shopping list for tomorrow using the fliers and the coupons from the store I visit the most. Surprising enough they have a $5.00 off of $40.00 shop, plus a $3.00 off any roast of beef. You can bet I am going to use those. 

I pulled out my mending pile and took out the first sock to darn. Hmmm, I would be darning over darning for the third time (my, Harvey is rough on his socks). This would make them a bit to bumpy to walk on so I turned them into ties for the garden, and a couple into dusting mitts.

I added a bit of water to my shampoo about a week ago, and I am still using it. Getting lots of lather still. Rinsed out the dish washing liquid and got to use that for a few more dish washing sessions.

I got three lovely candles from Kris for Christmas. Two of the smaller ones are finished (well at least as far as the wick is concerned). I scraped out the wax, got rid of the wicks and metal clips. I will melt the wax and repour into one of the holders. I should be able to get a bit more use out of the lovely scented wax.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

4 comments:

  1. I do the same with my candles after they will no longer burn...I'm out of wicks, tho, so need to pick up a pkg. at Hobby Lobby.
    I've never darned socks before...Mr.Sweet was always so tender footed, he would never have gone for darning. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to grate the leftover wax and use it in one of those wax melting pots. I got rid of my old grater and refuse to use the one I have now for this task.

      I should have been thinking and kept the metal wick clips from these candles. Now I need to go and pick up some new ones.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. I try to do that with candles too. I'm pleased that you've finally got some decent vouchers to use for your groceries. OH is hard on socks too on account of the floor in his office. They last a matter of weeks before they have holes in them. I've stopped buying him expensive socks, he gets cheap ones now, which surprisingly seem to last longer, probably because they're more synthetic I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful to open that app and see those vouchers.

      My cheap synthetic socks don't seem to last any longer than the more expensive ones. I usually tell Harvey that either my toes or heels got hungry and ate through. I am hoping that these knitted ones last much longer. If they don't they will at least be easier to darn.

      God bless.

      God bless.

      Delete