Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Using It Up

The past couple of days have seen me use up some of those proportioned bags of leftover roasted meats in the fridge.

On Monday I used up a bag of frozen ham to make a casserole. Turned out pretty darn good.

I didn't get a picture of this one (couldn't find the camera when I needed it) but thought I would share the recipe with you all.

Ham, Rice, Broccoli Cheese Bake

1 cup rice
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 can of water (I used the rinse water from getting the soup out)
1 1/2 cups finely diced cooked ham
1 cup finely diced broccoli
2 cups grated cheese
1 can mushrooms

Mix everything together in a greased casserole and bake at 350 for 1 hour plus a bit more.

Harvey actually had two helpings the first night and since I had so many leftovers finished it off for his supper tonight.

The next night I pulled that bag of frozen chicken out to use up.

I did get a picture of this casserole.

I used a recipe that actually called for leftover turkey, but I have always used chicken interchangeably with that ingredient. I was also missing a few ingredients, but with some subbing things worked out perfectly.

Southern Turkey Casserole

2 tbsp. hard butter (I used a bit of oil instead)
1 medium onion chopped
3 cups chopped cabbage
2 cups chopped turkey (I used chicken here instead)
1 cup long grain rice
2 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 to 1/2 tsp pepper
1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (I seem to have run out of this but have plenty of hot sauce, gave a good shake into the mixture and stirred it in)
3 cups tomato juice (didn't have this so subbed in another can of the next ingredient with a bit of water added)
2 398 ml (14 oz) cans of stewed tomatoes with their juice (break up the tomatoes)

Melt the margarine (or heat the oil) in a large frying pan on medium. Add the onion and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often until softened. Turn into greased 3 qt or 3 l casserole. Add the next 8 ingredients and stir well.

Pour the tomatoes and the water over top. Stir. Cover and bake at 350 F (175 C) for about 1 1/2 hours or until rice and cabbage are tender. This serves 6.

We have enough leftover for us to eat tomorrow for our supper and to make a tin foil meal for Kris.

Surprisingly this tastes almost like cabbage rolls (stuffed cabbage), but is a great deal easier to put together.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

2 comments:

  1. The title of this post spoke to me - Using it Up. A friend once articulated the positive feeling she experienced when using it up. I realized that I experienced that same positive feeling. I like getting to the bottom of a jar or package. I like the feeling of near-empty fridge shelves. I like taking stock of what's in the pantry or freezer & "shopping at home" then using that as a starting off point. Last year I got to the bottom of the freezer, vowing not to put more bargain-buy product in there until I had used it up; it took ~6 months. I acknowledge that feeling but I'm not sure what the root of it is - managing my resources well? not wasting? efficiency?
    I like your recipes. Your resourcefulness shows in your recipe substitutions. It sounds like you have an appreciative audience for your menu offerings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is very little that Harvey won't at least try. In fact in the 42 years we have been married there was only one dish he asked me to never make again.

      God bless.

      Delete