Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Not Resolutions.....Goals

I hate making "resolutions" instead just like many other bloggers I make goals instead. Something to strive for and in the striving perhaps learn what works and what doesn't work.

Today I spent some time reflecting on what I would like to accomplish in the way of goals this year. I came up with a few. Some are a continuation of goals started last year and some are brand new.

1. This year I will continue working through my various stashes. I have more yarn and fabric than I can use in a year (or even two). Unless I hit an extremely good sale nothing, and I mean nothing is going to be added to either stash. I would like to cut the yarn stash down by at least two totes and the fabric stash down to where it all fits in the drawers.

2. I also want to try and cut my grocery/household bill down by 5 to 10 % over the year. That might not seem like much, but we are not lucky enough to get yellow sticker deals, and since we live in the farthest southeast corner of the province things are very expensive. I also have a carnivore for a husband and while having two meals a week without red meat, poultry, or pork seems to be okay, I have a feeling that adding another would drive Harvey to distraction.

So in order to cut costs I will be trying out store brand items, making my own household cleaners, using up all those small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and lotions I have picked up on our travels. I am even thinking of trying my hand at soap making once again.

3. Figure out where in the budget we can do a few more cuts. Our investments are doing well so other than for my own satisfaction this really does not have to be done. However with costs rising it just makes sense to figure out ways to keep the money in our pockets or bank, rather then in the pockets of big business.

4. Learn how to repair the large zippers in coats. Those seem to be the first things (other than pockets) that wear out on our coats. To get the seamstress to replace them costs a fortune and I have lots of metal zippers in my stash.

5. I bought a knitting machine at a garage sale two summers ago and I plan on learning how to use it. There are lots of YouTube videos and once things are put away from Christmas the machine is coming out and I am going to practice, practice, practice. I think a knitted rug on the floor downstairs (once it is finished) would be a lovely addition.

6. I want to learn how to free motion quilt. I have lots of scrap fabric and one can always use a new quilt.

7. Continue to declutter. It is so freeing to see things leave the house. This year I hope to rid my home of another 500 items.

So there you have them my main goals for the year ahead. Wish me luck.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

2 comments:

  1. 500 items is a very good challenge, would love to hear about your homemade soap and cleaning products sometime.
    Best Wishes
    Marlene x

    ReplyDelete
  2. great challenges there, I will be posting a couple of mine tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete