Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Belgrade, Serbia

 Overnight we traveled a bit further on the Danube to Belgrade. Belgrade is the capitol of Serbia, and was once the capital of the former Yugoslavia. It is located where the Sava and Danube meet and has always been a contested area. "The White City" as its Serbian name translates to has been destroyed, and rebuilt 20 times. 

Here we visited the Church of St. Sava which is one of the largest Orthodox buildings in the world. The church was rebuilt at a very high cost and they are still working on the outside.

Our guide went to the "small" church on the grounds of St. Sava.









Notice that there are no chairs or pews. The only people that are allowed to sit through a service are the elderly and chairs are brought out for them to use at that time.

This is where I had my own bit of excitement. As we were leaving and getting closer to the bus, I was asking the guide a question when all of a sudden I tripped on the tiniest difference in the pathway stones. Down I went, gracefully I have been told and not a single bad word left my mouth (not to say I wasn't thinking them). Harvey said I went down like I was trying to reach home plate before the ball did. As it was a very hot day, I was wearing a knee length dress as well. I turned over to see the guide wide-eyed asking me if I was okay, and about 8 men trying to pull me up, or should I say help me up. I handed my phone and wallet to the lovely Macedonian couple we had supper with the night before, asked the men to wait a moment while I checked things out to see if legs and arms were still working. Once helped to my feet I noticed I had cut my palm a bit (well there was blood running down my arm) and continually telling the guide I was just fine, a hoard of the ladies descended upon me. One cleaned my wound with wipes she had, another applied some antiseptic, and a third bandaged me up. 

I really was surprised that the cut was the only real damage. I was more worried about the entire world seeing my underwear!!!

We got back to the ship and as we got off the bus everyone was asking me if I was okay (got to be slightly annoying after a few days). 

Lunch was had and then we were off on another tour.... With as luck would have it the same tour guide. Sighs. 

This time we went to the Nikola Tesla Museum.






Such an interesting place to visit. One of the most interesting things was the fact that Nikola Tesla's ashes are in the museum, just where he wanted them. That is the top picture. His urn has a special room all to itself.

Went back to the ship, had supper, listened to the piano player for a bit and went to bed fairly early. 

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment