Friday, September 25, 2026

Slow and Steady

 

As this year draws to a close (after all there are only just a tad over three months left), my journey towards a simpler life is steadily becoming more attainable. 

I have been decluttering and have reached 290 items out of the house.

Moved toward more big batch cooking every second month or so which enables me to have the time, especially when things seem to pile up, to put a great and filling meal on the table.

Monthly menu planning is becoming much easier, though I need to make sure to add more meatless or vegetarian options. Meat is becoming very expensive and will need to be stretched even more. 

Fuel here is now $1.90 a liter (so about $7.60 a United States gallon, or $9.50 and Imperial gallon which is what we use here in Canada, follows our British traditions) this means that keeping errands and shopping to a minimum really helps with the simplicity of day to day living. 

I am finding it much easier to find something in my closet or cupboards when the urge to go and spend money occurs. I don't want to go shopping just to fill time, shopping is something that is necessary, but not necessary for fun. Fun is realizing that you have just what you need already.

This past month I have also learned that you can do something over the course of a few days. This is what I am doing with the cleaning of the fridge, and the organizing of the sewing/craft room. In the organizing sessions I have found lots of projects I set aside to do "later" and now is the time to get those completed or at least get a few of them done and either in use or framed and on the wall. 

I have been enjoying the "me" time I have gotten this month. Most of that is working on projects, walking, or reading. Things that got set aside in my rush to complete daily tasks. Now I carry things over from day to day.

Simplicity does not mean forgetting about preparing, instead to me it means being prepared at all times for all things. This is probably why I decided to make sewing kits and first aid kits as part of Kurt's and Kris's gift baskets for Christmas. I also need to update ours as well. My fall while on our trip definitely pointed that out to me. 

Slow and steady, I will finally reach what I consider a simple and frugal lifestyle.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


15 comments:

  1. Awesome thoughts, Jackie! Slow and steady....wins the race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS - "Fun is realizing that you have just what you need already." Perfectly said.
    I really like the idea of the kits for putting in gift baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done on the decluttering. I still have a bit to go with ours....

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Jackie, This sounds like what I am trying to do now too.
    Around the end of July, we bought a good bit of meat at our military commissary. It took me a few days, but I batch cooked almost all of it into chili, Mexican beef, plain, shredded beef, Pork Carnitas, Lentil tacos, And I think there were a couple other things, but I can’t remember right now, All were frozen into meal sized portions and this has been so nice for meals. It turned off really hot all of August so it was a nice just to pull the entrée out of the freezer and reheat it without having to heat up the kitchen much.

    I completely agree that when things are Decluttered, It’s much easier to find what you’re looking for

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds a perfect life balance for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that a US gallon was smaller than a UK gallon, that explains such a lot about milk purchasing etc.
    Hope you get your unfinished things finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Linda's comment Jackie ... slow & steady is the way to go. 290 is a huge amount of items cleared out - I wish I had thought to keep count of mine. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think as one ages, slow and steady becomes a natural part of life. I'm learning that.......gradually!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there

    Replying to a comment you left on Bovey Belle’s blog…. Maybe your windfall neighbor doesn’t realize the nuisance, or that neighbors might be more than willing to use the fruit? Especially if he is a city mouse, a gentle comment might help?

    Good on you for decluttering!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its strange with decluttering isnt it. I've taken many many bags of stuff down to the OP shop and it hardly seems to make a dent. I've also sold some things from Robin's shed on line, given away quite a bit to family, and there is still plenty more stuff waiting. I dont do a huge amount of batch cooking, made steak and kidney stew in the crockpot the other day. The remainder will be made into pies for the freezer. I still cook for two most nights, even though there us just m. Eat one meal, freeze the other for later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving my slow and peaceful life now I'm not working. Sometimes I look at jobs advertised and think it might be nice to work again, but then the reality hits me and I don't bother to apply. I'm quite happy being in control of my own life on a daily basis, rather than having an employer with expectations of me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sewing and first aid kits are a great addition to the Christmas boxes. A few years ago I made both our daughters-in-love a hussif but haven't considered giving them first aid kits. Last year we bought them each a fireproof blanket (for throwing over kitchen fires to snuff them out in a hurry). Hopefully they never have to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should start taking inventory of how many items I have purged. Maybe I'll do that after the new year and keep a running tally how much I bring in. It seems we are in the replacement season. Still waiting on the new microwave that goes over the stove. We also noticed just last weekend our sliding on the house needs to be replaced. Probably after the flooding of last year. Well how's not a good time to do this - but it is time to start saving and getting estimates. Home maintenance just never ends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We purged over 500 things at the latest consignment sale. We are enjoying the clean out spaces and have no intention of filling them back up again. I’ve been enjoying more walking lately too. I’ve been staying home more and walking helps fill the time.
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is amazing what one can do without when one wants to. We can get very creative.

    ReplyDelete