Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Frugal Is As Frugal Does

I have noticed in my many journeys through blog land that more and more bloggers are concerned with their finances. That's a good thing don't get me wrong, I am just as concerned. However some of the things that these other bloggers do worries me a bit.

I think that everyone has to find their own middle ground, in other words what they feel comfortable doing.

Me, I feel most comfortable trying to cut back on my bills. Not doing without. Freezing in my own home is something I would never do. I will however try and lower the thermostat a few degrees and still stay comfortable.

I won't give up my cable package as Harvey and I use it for entertainment. It costs much less to watch a movie on television and supply our own snacks than it does to go to the theater.

I will make my own clothes, gifts, and cook from scratch because that gives me pleasure and fills my evenings. Evenings usually find me sitting in my recliner knitting or doing some handwork like mending, darning or embroidery. I love seeing something magically appear beneath my hands.

I use up every portion that I possibly can from our meals and get satisfaction from the knowledge that the meal cost much less than a meal out.

We won't give up our vacations because everyone needs to get away sometime and where we live going away is the best way to maintain our sanity. Winters can be brutal here, and taking advantage of our short, hot summers makes them bearable.

We do have a budget and stick to it as much as possible. It really isn't difficult but we don't get too upset if for some reason we go over budget. Things happen, life goes on. One can always find a way to make up for the excess spending. Sometimes it just takes a bit of thinking outside the box.

Money is there for us to use, we just have to use it wisely. I hope we are doing so.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment