Saturday, July 22, 2023

Time For Some More Pictures

 

I got this picture off the internet, but it is perhaps either a slightly newer version or older version of the one we use.


We took a day of rest after our first visit to the marsh and when the temperature warmed up in the afternoon walked through the village of Wasagaming. We visited several stores, took in a few of the sights in the Visitor Center, and then headed back to the cabin for a late afternoon cribbage tournament between the two of us. We had a mini tournament 2 afternoons. The score ended up being 2 games for me and 5 for Harvey (or the score could have been much more lopsided in his favour). 

The next day we travelled to Dauphin to take in a museum or two (we actually only visited one), a church that ended up being closed (but I did get a picture of the outside but managed to find pictures of the inside on the internet). My apologies this is slightly picture heavy.

First we went to the Fort Dauphin Museum. My, for a small city this was an excellent place to visit.

I will just post a few pictures... The first is an old Anglican church that graced the city in the first years it was established. Very much a simple country church.


These next pictures are of the main building with lots of exhibits. 






Just a few of the exhibits that caught my eye. I never realized that the Metis flag had a blue background first.

The yard outside was scattered with old buildings that had been moved onto the property and set up like a little village. There was a general store, a school house, a trappers home, a home for a family, a blacksmiths, and a few others. We enjoyed traipsing through them. 











After our visit here we decided to visit the Church of the Resurrection Ukrainian Catholic Church. This Church is built more along the lines of a cathedral and is a registered historic building.

We arrived and to our dismay the church was not open. I did find some pictures of the inside online and will share those.




As you can see the church is huge and very ornate in decor. I do wish we could have seen the inside for ourselves.

As I was walking around the outside of the church I found this shrine to Our Lady.


A peaceful place to say a prayer or two.

We did visit one more place, but I will save those for another day.


Everybody have a wonderful day.
God bless.



8 comments:

  1. I just love all the antique things. Museums are just so neat. What a gorgeous interior to the church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The church interior is stunning - it is a shame you weren't able to visit. The photos of the old buildings bring back lots of memories. When I was young we had a old wood stove/oven much like the one pictured, my Nan had a treadle sewing machine, and although we didn't have one, the Hudson Bay blankets are a familiar sight.
    Glad you had a nice time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are wonderful Jackie. I especially love the inside of the old buildings & all the old implements etc. I have one of those old treadle sewing machines like in your photo but mine no longer works. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love 'living museums' as we call them here. It's so interesting to see buildings set out as they would have been at the time and to imagine how people lived their lives. It may have been simpler then in some ways, but I wouldn't choose to go back to those times. Life could be so hard.
    I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fascinating to see how people used to live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mum had a treadle sewing machine, but it was built into a cabinet. It's now in a museum in southern Australia somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The museum looks wonderful. I wonder if they have summer programs for kids there - would be wonderful if they did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always fun checking out the sights when on holiday.

    ReplyDelete