Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Tuesday Tidbits Part 2 Of Our Dauphin Trip

 


First off let me say that the heat dome has settled it's northern border upon us. Once again it feels like walking into a hot brick wall when you leave the house. I only do a bit outside at a time, making just a few trips to pick a couple of things and a drive to get the mail and hand in our emergency contact numbers to the travel agent. That took enough out of me. I did do my walk early in the morning and I am so glad that I got out early.


On the way home from Dauphin, we stopped at the Ukrainian Heritage Village. Once again lots of old buildings (however there was actually one I remember seeing in the small town of Hyas). The Ukrainian people of Dauphin started moving buildings on the site about 15 years ago. In the same place they have the Canadian gathering of Ukrainian people every year, and from the looks of the parking, camping area, and stadium this is a huge gathering.

On with a few pictures from the site.



They had moved this Ukrainian Orthodox Church on site as one of their first. It was lovely to go through (we got in this one).



It was very interesting to see the separation between the congregation and priest.


This is the sign that greeted us as we started our tour of the heritage site.



The general store with some very old catalogues.



The shoe maker/repair shop. It was really interesting to see the unique machines that were used.





Clothing that was many generations old. I can remember my Ukrainian friend wearing many outfits that were hand embroidered by her mother in many of these patterns. Gorgeous needlework.



Most of the houses that were set up as homes belonging to Ukrainian settlers had lovely spinning wheels, but one had this very unique oven.


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures. Ukranian churches are wonderful to see in my opinion. I think they are beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing your trip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that building is beautiful! And the embroidery on the clothing is so detailed and beautiful. What lovely pictures, Jackie. I love what the plaque says outside the building. 💕

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping along the way is a great way to break up a trip, and when you can visit such an interesting space is wonderful.
    It cooled off nicely here last night, down to 10C, so I've all the windows opened for the fresh cool air. I'll have to close them up soon, as we're expecting 28C this afternoon but for now I'm sure enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos - I love to visit places like this. So interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an interesting place to visit, and I love seeing the embroidered clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful the Church & buildings are Jackie - I very much enjoy old heritage like that. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like it was a fun place to visit. The general store portion of it looks fascinating.

    ReplyDelete