Thrifty and Frugal
I have closely been watching prices rising, mostly because of the cost of fuel to ship things. I am also noticing more and more Canadian goods on shelves, which is a very good thing. There are times that I wish I lived in a bigger center with more choice, but I will continue to save costs grocery wise where and how I can.
So far the thrifty and frugal things I am doing is making the most of the harvest. I have frozen carrots, and beans. Dehydrated herbs, scraps from onions (ground to make onion powder), and have started to freeze tomatoes (the skins will be dehydrated to make tomato powder). I have made pickled onions, relish, Cowboy candy, salsa, and chili sauce. The way the tomatoes are coming in I will need to find something else to can with those as well. I even froze some corn on the cob!!!
Soon I will be making pumpkin puree as well. I will also be dehydrating lavender leaves.
Life is just one big harvest right now.
I am using the appliances to cook more of our food, and hope to get used to doing that a great deal more.
I made a great many ready meals for the freezer and am going to be making a few more. These are in tinfoil containers that I can throw into the toaster oven to reheat.
I am only purchasing meat that is on sale, and trying to stock up on canned meat that is on sale as well.
I purchased a make your own K-cup and will soon give up purchasing the ready made ones. I need one more plus the paper filters so I can make some ahead and store in airtight containers to save time.
I refashioned one dress into a skirt, and the other dress into a top and skirt (it was a very long dress).
Walking for exercise and watching what I eat so as to keep up the weight loss.
Not turning on the heat as of yet. It isn't that cold when I get up in the morning that my robe and slippers won't keep me toasty.
Mending some seams and hems, fixed a few buttons, and patched a pair of Harvey's work pants.
Hung clothes on the lines.
The air conditioning hasn't come on in a couple of days which is great.
That is pretty much all I can remember right now. I will share pictures of the garden processing perhaps tomorrow.
Everybody have a wonderful evening.
God bless.
Busy, busy. What a wonderful blessing to have the fresh goods and the know-how to preserve it. It will all be so good this winter. Glad you got a reusable coffee k-cup thing. Saves a lot of expense and waste.
ReplyDeleteGod is good.
Dear Jackie, the costs here in Canada are rising so fast. I am happy to not have needed to use the air conditioner either, thankfully the temperature has been comfortable.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a lovely weekend ahead. 💗
I like waking up to the chill and using a robe and slippers. Id live to keep heat off until November but also won't intentionally be miserable. I worry for my kids on every day costs, and gas was $4.48 a gallon today!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have had a very good harvest and will enjoy the results through the winter.
ReplyDeleteSoon I'll be going grocery shopping. I used to enjoy it. Now it's more like a hunt instead. I also put more things back on the shelves because of the price.
ReplyDeleteYour harvest has been bountiful! Your grocery shopping sounds a lot like mine, picking up meat on sale (we have lots of pork and chicken, less of beef), and I go through the sale items. For example, this week I found an originally marked $5 container of cut up watermelon for $1.99. Eli loves it, so it will get used up quickly.
ReplyDeleteDitto on the avoiding the furnace just yet. The forecast looks decent to the end of September so hopefully it will be some time yet before it is needed. We've been cooler than you, so it's been a couple of weeks since the a/c has been running. Anything to save on the utility bills!
Well done for making such good use of your harvests, plus all the other frugal things you do.
ReplyDeleteYou ha e been busy making the most of your garden, hard work but so satisfying I imagine. Home made meals ready in the freezer are su h a good idea, nice to know there is something tucked away ready to heat and eat after a busy day.
ReplyDeleteYou have a lot of things prepped for the winter and Beyond and how wonderful it must feel that a lot of it comes from your own harvesting.
ReplyDelete