Life since we got back from our trip has been trying to get the garden in, processing, catching up on household tasks, and a few appointments. The appointments will end the beginning of October I hope.
My CT scan came back with a few concerns for me. Now the nodules in my lungs have not grown, so they are now considering them scarring from previous infections.
But the scan showed a growth on my adrenal gland and the start of stenosis of the liver (Fatty Liver Disease). I believe and so does my doctor that the liver is from me putting on quite a bit of weight over the last couple of years. So I am trying hard to lose some weight and had actually lost 8 pounds from the last time my weight was taken about 2 months ago. Not a large amount, but a start.
The one that really scared me was the growth on my adrenal gland. Turns out the radiologist and the doctor both tell me it is not cancerous, but rather something that usually happens with age. I was worried because my Mom died of adrenal cancer which is not common. The doctor told me that this type of cancer is not passed down, and she gave me a list of symptoms that I should watch for. She also told me if I become concerned I should call and see her. She would then make me another appointment for a more localized scan.
I do feel more at ease now, but will keep an eye on my overall health for sure.
We were home for about a week, perhaps a week and a half when I got the news my Mom's youngest sister had died. So as the funeral was early morning, we headed off the night before. Spent one night in a hotel, and then went to the funeral. I was glad that we were able to attend as I got to see many of my cousins, and my 99 year old sister of my Mom. She is the last of the 4 girls left. I also got to see my Mom's youngest sister's daughter, the one who is very close to the same age as me. She is undergoing treatment for breast cancer, and had a mastectomy not too long ago.
Now we have been home for about another week and things are almost back to normal. Well, as normal as they are for this time of year. We almost had a frost a few days ago, which has speeded up the garden harvest, though with Harvey working on building the new carport, and me helping things are not where I would like them to be.
I have made many ready meals that are in the freezer, and there are a few more (mostly soups) that I need to get done. That will be after the chili sauce and tomato freezing. I might actually try to can some tomatoes this year.
Shopping was done today, and I really hope that I will not have to do another until October. My goodness prices of certain items have really risen. Trying to stock up on baking supplies, canned meats, and pasta right now. Pasta, since I can purchase Canadian made is still relatively inexpensive. Canned meats on the other hand have really risen, and baking supplies are getting very hard to find other than flour, sugars, and the very basics. Cocoa seems to have disappeared for now.
Everybody have a wonderful evening.
God bless.

Dear Jackie, I am so sorry to hear about your health issues. Bless your heart! I applaud you, dear friend, for losing 8 pounds! A little is progress! Your doctor sounds proactive and caring, and this is so important!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you feel at ease now. Yes, it is good to keep an eye on things, because sometimes issues can appear and we don't notice them because we are so busy.
Please know that you are in my prayers, Jackie.
Sorry you had some scares, but it sounds like the doctors are on top of it. I had never heard of Fatty Liver Disease, until I started seeing commercials for something called Mash.
ReplyDeleteI hope you can get things under control yourself.
My condolences on your family loss.
We are in the 90's all this week and I see no frost in the foreseeable future in these parts - thank goodness.
Take care.
Jackie, what a lot of health scares for you..At least you know what you're dealing with. I have lung scarring too. I found that out a few years ago and it was quite the scare. I had to see a pulmonologist but he put my mind at ease.
ReplyDeletePlus you had the death of your aunt. I'm so glad you got to go. Boy life sure doesn't let up, does it. After a lovely vacation, then its back to the real world.
Wow, frost already? Even if it was "almost". We're still in summer mode but I can see the changes. Good to habe you back!
We will be getting the garlic ( I'll try again) and some Egyptian walking onions here in a few weeks. Frost? I have to look up our last frost date, it is still humid and warm. Usually by October 11th or so we should see a change. I pray for you for peace about your health concerns, and healthy progress. Faith@FarmhouseWorthy
ReplyDeleteYour doctor sounds to b doing a great job at helping you to help yourself.
ReplyDeleteWhat an intense stretch you've been through, I'm so glad to read that the growth on your adrenal gland turned out not to be cancerous, that must have been such a relief. Congratulations on those 8 pounds, that's a great start! Also, my condolences on the loss of your aunt, it's good that you were still able to attend the funeral and see your family. Take good care of yourself, and wishing you all the best.
ReplyDeleteWell done on losing weight - I know it's really a hard thing to do. It's just unfortunate that health issues are forcing you into it. Take care of you.
ReplyDeleteIt's good to have such a helpful Dr isnt it. I'm sorry you are going through all this.
ReplyDeleteLike you I am feeling Autumny and making lots of vegetable soup!
You are so fortunate to have a caring doctor. I'm glad to hear she was able to relieve some of your concerns and provide advice on what you might need to look for. Congrats on the weight loss - especially after a vacation.
ReplyDeleteI purchased baking supplies on Monday and they are stupidly high. A bag of Chipits at Walmart were $6.44 a bag or $7.49 at our Indeptendent grocer. I didn't buy any of those and went with the Great Value large bag for $16. On the other hand, flour has dropped in price - during Covid a bag was nearly $20, now it's down to $12. I picked up a bag to take with me to Yuma. US flour is different somehow.
More rain this week, hope you are able to get more harvesting done.
One thing I don't like to hear from any doctore is 'oh, that comes with age'. It is bs to me, something causes things to go awry with our bodies - either a past employment in an 'unsafe' environment, the foods we eat or a lifestyle we bring on ourselves. I'm sorry, my sisters and I are advocates of the 'we can fix this' so good luck with everything.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to read about the CT scan bringing up issues for you. It certainly is scary to find that there are health problems. I had a CT scan too recently which showed a couple of things, it will be repeated shortly. Bits and bobs, the specialist called them, I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!
ReplyDeletePrices are still rising here too for some things, particularly petrol, due to issues in the Gulf states. Food seems to have stablilised a little but I expect it will jump again at some point, as a consequence of the hot weather and it's effects on harvests.
ReplyDelete