Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sunday Ramblings


It is the Third Sunday in Advent and the candle this week stands for "Joy".

Right now it is hard to feel joyful as a good friend and upstanding member of my parish passed away on Friday.

Sister Adelaide was a fixture at Sunday Mass (and weekday Masses). She has worked for the parish ever since her order left Estevan. Sister was the only one to say she was not leaving when the order recalled the others to Toronto. Here was this tiny, little person (she only came to my shoulder) standing up to her Mother Provincial and saying she would not leave. That we needed her here (quite true).

Her smiling face at Mass brought joy to so many people. I became an Associate of the order many years ago and so I got to know Sister on a more personal level. She had a sense of humor second to none and I can remember driving to meetings and laughing the entire trip. I can remember all the hugs she gave me during the hard times in my life, she saw me through the death of my in laws and my parents. We traveled together to give talks to the youth of the parish on vocations. I also got to look after her love birds whenever she would go on vacation.

Her selfless work in the parish was something to behold. Since she did not drive you could often see her walking to and from the church. It didn't matter if it was raining or snowing and icy, there she would be this small nun making her way to and from church. I would often stop and offer her a ride if I was nearby, but Sister Adelaide would smilingly say, "I need the exercise." and continue on her way.

I will miss you greatly, Sister. Thank you for the joy and laughter you brought into all our lives.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss, Jackie. She sounds like a wonderful woman ... perhaps God needed her now.

    ReplyDelete