Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Thrifty Tuesday

In my quest to become a little more focused on living below our means joyfully, I have discovered a few  things. As long as we have a roof over our heads, food in our tummies, heat or cooling when they are necessary, hobbies to keep us occupied, and eachother our lives are just where we want them to be.

I made a rather large batch of pasta salad to eat with our hotdogs  and as usual covered the bowl and placed it into the fridge. I thought that I would eat it for my lunch over the next few days. Well since that did not happen, I decided to do a makeover tonight and have it for supper. After adding a can of tuna, the leftover quartered boiled eggs, a bit more dressing and served Tuna Pasta Salad along with the leftover hotdogs buns made into garlic bread. It sure hit the spot. No waste and with a few small use it ups from the fridge, spice cabinet and bread box a brand new meal. I think I used my resources wisely.

I darned a couple of pairs of socks, a couple of pairs were cut into ties to be used in the garden.

We went through all those lights and while many needed to be recycled there were quite a few we could still use. These were put into my large planters on the deck, giving us some needed lighting at night. We also found an old string of white mini Christmas lights (I think that some people call them fairy lights) and strung them up on the far end of the deck.

It has rained for most of the day and we took the lid off the rain barrel. Hopefully it fills up once again. I would much rather use rain water to water everything than city water.

Harvey found some grass seed in the shed and yesterday spread it on the bare patches in the front yard. He had forgotten all about the seed he had bought last year on sale and was going to go off and buy more. He also used up the last of the fertilizer. I think he is enjoying trying to find items to use up and  clean out (he won't call it decluttering). Sure glad he is finally onboard (though he still goes on spending sprees every so often).

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

2 comments:

  1. I like to see the garden lit upon a summer evening. Sometimes just moving things around gives things a new lease of life. I love your no waste ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly but surely I am learning more ways to have less waste in my life. I have a feeling that this is going to be a lifetime of learning.

      God bless.

      Delete