Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Month End

It is so hard to believe that summer is almost over. The fact is we are just starting to get summer-like weather. Today we reached a temperature of 32 C but it felt like 37 C outside. This is more what we are used to in the month of July.

The monthly budget was entered and even with the buying of the laptop we are still under budget for the month. I am especially happy that we were under budget for groceries. However, a stock up is in order during August (don't know when I will be having surgery...still, and I have no idea how long recovery will be, I want to be prepared for any and all eventualities). This usually means a very high grocery spend for the month.

While I did get all the extra cleaning done, I am afraid there are lots of little things left on my goal list. I moved them to the upcoming month, and only added a couple of small items. Small items added are mostly those Christmas projects that I want done and dusted well before that holiday arrives. There is one big project that will have to wait until I manage to get the supplies (during the stock up trip).

I managed to knit up all that leftover fingering weight yarn into 4" squares. Those will be sewn together in the evenings once I get some Christmas knitting done. Still not too sure what they will become though.

Decluttering is moving right along. As of today 333 items are no longer in the house. I am hoping to reach 500 again this year. Each year it seems to get a bit harder to part with things, but I will get it done. Downsizing and simplifying are my mantra for the next few years (probably much longer).

Harvesting of the garden is slow. I have been harvesting herbs and dehydrating them. This will be ongoing until the herbs no longer seem to be growing. We have also eaten onions, kale and the occasional strawberry that the birds have missed in their gluttony (wouldn't mind so much if they didn't peck a bit and leave). Harvey ate a few of the cherries off our new trees before the birds got all of them. Think some netting might work next year while the trees are still fairly small.

Kurt and Kris were home and it was wonderful having some time with the two of them. We get to see Kris quite often as he is only a couple of hours away and we do our stock up shop in that city. Kurt on the other hand lives 9 hours away so our visits are few and far between. The next time we will be lucky enough to have the two of them home at the same time will be Thanksgiving. Only a few months away, but still will miss having them around before then.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


2 comments:

  1. You're doing well with the decluttering Jackie. I too find it harder as time goes on, but I still have way too much stuff and want to own much less. I need to make some tough decisions I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There are a lots of little things left on my goal list.." So many people ask how a retiree spends his/her time. My SIL had a good reply - There's always a long list of things left undone. I often spend the first part of the day finishing up yesterday's to-do list. It's still summer in my mind. It won't be long before we're lamenting the cold and snow so I'm reveling in the rain and heat.

    ReplyDelete