Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Thrifty Tuesday

 

Well we are hunkering down for a major snow storm, one which will more than likely not allow Kurt and Kris to come home. When fire departments and ambulance companies are asking you to stay off the roads, you know it is bad.

The snow started just as we sat down to eat our supper and now about an hour later is coming down much harder.

I did go out yesterday and again today to pick up some supplies though I did not go as overboard as some who were shopping. I had checked our candle situation in case the power goes out and noticed it was low. I bought candles, kitty litter, and some items that we can nibble on if the power goes down. 

I also boiled some eggs so we have those to munch on for meals if necessary. 

Right now I am glad that I have made sooo many quilts, cause they could definitely come in handy.

So what thrifty things have I done this week.


I used up some of the bits and bobs of yarn I had and the rug mesh to make some coasters.

Used up some fairly ancient yarn to knit a scarf, and the last ball of fancy yarn to knit another one.

I managed to make another two meals for each of us from 6 slices of leftover roast beef.

Baked a loaf of bread and if the power holds tomorrow morning I will bake some cinnamon buns for our breakfasts (another thing we can eat if the power goes off). 

I dried 3 loads on the lines downstairs.

We picked up the yard today to make it a little easier if the wind takes down more twigs and small branches. Piled them up to be used to start fires in the firepit once the weather improves.

I have an old sheet that doesn't have the fitted sheet and am thinking of trying to make a cover for my big chair outside.

That's it for tonight. Off to visit you all.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

8 comments:

  1. I do hope you dont have a really bad storm. It seems strange to think of that as we are going into Spring weather. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope this morning shows the storm wasn't as bad as predicted and that you are cozy with power still on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were grateful for all the quilts I've made when we had cold weather recently. Spoilt for choice when watching TV and trying not to use the heating too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay safe - hope the power stays on. You're wise to be as prepared as possible. The weather sure is unpredictable it seems.
    Speaking of old sheets - we picked one up at the thrift store this week and I plan to revamp it into a cover for the back seat of our car. When we went to buy new seat covers we were aghast at the price and although we did buy proper ones for the front seats I decided I could create something for the back out of something a whole lot cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure hope the power stays on for you. The radar seems to suggest the storm has headed to Manitoba but you're still in it too.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jackie,
    ...I hope your power stays on...but it's good that you're prepared...
    ~Have a lovely cozy/snowy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay warm and safe and I am sorry the boys won't be able to come for Easter. We are experiencing unusual cold and snow here. Love all the things you do to make things stretch. You are my idol.

    ReplyDelete