Thursday, September 29, 2022

Thrifty Thursday


 Well, with the help of a power outage and my handy, dandy book of passwords, I am up and running once again. Though the downloading of pictures might be a bit screwed up. Only time will tell.

Lots of what I did in the past couple of weeks has been both thrifty and frugal.

First off, I was busy harvesting the garden. Mostly tomatoes which were frozen.


I usually put them in the fridge freezer first and then when I have lots, carry them down to the chest freezer in a large shopping tote. Saves me running up and down the stairs.


I repotted my lemon trees and brought them into the house for the winter. I also did so with my hibiscus plants and some English Ivy cuttings. Any little bit I can save to replant outside is something I try to do every year. I will take a picture of the hibiscus once I know they are going to make it. 

I am letting the gladiolus dry out so I can dig them up and put them downstairs until next year when they will be replanted.

I also spent some time spreading the gravel that Harvey moved to areas around the yard. We widened the driveway, added some space to the firepit area, and filled in a weed infested area by our front steps. By doing this on our own we saved a bundle and there is still some gravel left to use once the areas settle in and perhaps need new added.

Harvey dug the potatoes, and while the harvest was not the best we did get a 5-gallon pail full. That should do us until Christmas or a bit thereafter. Right now they are hardening off on the deck.

The pumpkins are all harvested and there are enough fully ripe ones that perhaps this weekend I will start making pumpkin puree. 

I have also been using up the bits and bobs of yarn in my stash. Add in a few orphan balls and I have made knitted blankets to add to Kurt and Kris's birthday gifts.



I have started another as it seems I have lots of leftover yarn bits from other projects. Some of which were done many years ago. Guess I am a yarn hoarder after all. 

They are kind of funky but will only hopefully be kept in the vehicles to be used in the case of an emergency. Eventually I am going to find small, zippered bags at one of our secondhand stores and make emergency kits for their cars. Lots of little things can be put in there that I can fashion from items that I have around the house or can pick up at an inexpensive price.


I tried my hand at making Falafels. I didn't mind them, but Harvey turned up his nose after trying them.


I even tried my hand at making flat breads. Not too bad for a first attempt and both of us enjoyed these.


Spent time adding to the quilt top as well. It is taking a bit longer than I thought as I am not that good at figuring out what brick I should start the row with. Oh well today I managed to get three rows done, hopefully the same will be completed tomorrow. I really would like it done before Kurt and Kris get home for the Thanksgiving holiday. 

Other thrifty happenings here have been using up as much as possible in the fridge and freezers. 

I fixed a rip in Harvey's shirt seam, sewed on a button that had gone missing from one of my shirts, and watered with rainwater twice this week.

Hopefully all of you have had a great thrifty week or two as well.


Oh yes, we got the delivery of the fabric garage yesterday in the early afternoon. Sooo..... of course, since Harvey can never wait, he started to put the frame together. So far, I have avoided having to help, but tomorrow he will definitely need my assistance.


I think I have convinced him to wait until Kurt and Kris are home to pull the fabric over the frame.


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.




8 comments:

  1. I've tried to make falafels before, but they are one of those things that I prefer to buy vs make. I can't quite replicate a restaurant version at home.

    You had a lot of success this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great round up of your thrifting efforts, Jackie. I so enjoy reading them and often get ideas. I have just started to move my outdoor plants...put the pots on the veranda as there is a chance of frost tonight. I tried to make Nann bread once and it was edible. Kudos for you trying the falafels. I too can never seem to get to the bottom of my yarn bits...the afghan I'm stitching now is with leftovers so a couple of colours are not quite perfectly matched. But it will be warm. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your thrifty blogs. I've made falafels and they were nice but nothing like the shop bought ones, sadly! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing your yarn and quilting projects! Juhli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you've been very busy. Your flatbreads look great. Well done. I'm loving your makes. The blankets for the car are a good idea, as are the emergency kits and your quilt is a stunner. I'm going to be doing another brick piece quilt again soon as I've found a new pattern I like that uses that shape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you've had a busy week and got lots accomplished. Resident Chef keeps eyeing our tomatoes on the balcony and he doesn't think there will be many more ripen but there's lots of green ones still left. So I guess I'll try making green tomato relish to use them up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you are feeling a chill, it doesn't matter if a blanket is funky or not. And oh, that quilt is gorgeous!
    Good luck with the garage shelter. I do hope Harvey will wait for the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow you have been very busy. I am actually thinking of making a quilt with that same design. Lemon trees need a lot of fertilizer and I will be bringing mine in soon, but I need to repot one of them.

    ReplyDelete