Thursday, September 8, 2022

Thrifty Thursday


 

I am not going to go into how I feel now that the suspect in the stabbings on the James Cree Nation was caught and is now dead. I will say that now answers as to why may never come. That is one thing I am sure the families of the victims wish could have happened. Still they are sleeping without fear now and healing can begin.

Then to read of Queen Elizabeth's death on top of this has caused me to realize death can occur at any time and to hug those you love as much as you can.


My thrifty this past week has been centered on getting the garden in.

I have dried herbs.


Trays of sage, rosemary, and basil were done yesterday. I had done basil, sage and parsley the day before.


Eggplant Parma was made. One pan for us to eat and 5 for the freezer. This was the first batch I made. The second batch of 2 trays was made the next day.


Tomatoes were blanched, peeled and frozen. Next time I am going to dehydrate the peels and grind them into a powder to add to various meals.


Bell peppers that were getting a bit wrinkled in the fridge were chopped and put into the freezer.


More jalapeno's were picked.


Green beans picked, snapped, blanched and frozen for winter's use. This was the last of 14 bags I did up over this past week.

I did not get a picture of the bucket pickles I made, or the zucchini I shredded. 

It was a good week for processing the garden. 

I took today off from harvesting, but will be back at it tomorrow.

I also managed to put $70.00 in my savings envelope, and $17.45 in the change jars.


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, it's hard to reconcile the wanting to know the 'why' of what that person did with his life ending. Either way, at least there's no longer fear of him hurting anyone else.
    And it's sad about our Queen, but she has served her time on earth and deserves her heavenly reward.
    You've been busy with all your harvesting and it will taste wonderful over the coming winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a very productive week for you - brilliant. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you must have a very big freezer, Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of lovely food to eat over the winter. Your Eggplant parmas look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden has really done well. All the produce will help with the grocery bills.
    It was a bit of a shock with Elizabeth's passing. I saw a photo of her just two days prior greeting the new Prime Minister. She looked frail but the smile was still bright.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done well with your harvesting this year. And I love to read about how you prepare it for the freezer. Such a comforting thought to have food prepared like that and ready to go. Yes my thoughts are with those families in both camps...just horrible. And I am sentimental about the Queen as well. Quite the few days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are doing all the things that I am doing to preserve things for the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, you have been busy with all your food processing. It's good to have so much put away in the freezer till later on.

    ReplyDelete