Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Tuesday Tidbits

 

Saskatchewan is still under an alert. The second and third alerts are no cancelled, just that one dangerous offender who stabbed all those innocent people. I do hope they catch him very soon. It is very wearing on ones nerves. 

I have been busy harvesting the garden. Today it was cucumbers and tomatoes (need to pick even more of these). Yesterday was beans and eggplant. The beans are frozen, pickles in a bucket made, eggplant washed dried and in the fridge. Tomatoes and the zucchini I was gifted will wait until tomorrow morning when I will shred the zucchini, and freeze the tomatoes or if I have enough make salsa. While I love having a full freezer and lots of fresh produce I sometimes wonder why everything has to come ripe at the same time. 

Tomorrow morning I will pick beans, bell peppers, and jalapeno's. There will be cherry tomatoes to pick and probably hidden tomatoes that I missed yesterday. 

I did my shopping a bit later than I like, but it is done and I don't have any intentions of entering a store for the rest of the week. Good thing as I think I might be a bit busy processing the garden.

Garden processing has kind of put working on the quilt on hiatus for a bit. I can still knit at night and once this second shawl is completed I can even work on Kurt's rug or some Christmas ornaments. I could gather the things necessary for Kris's quilt as well. Might as well be as ready as possible to get that done. 

Working our way through the leftovers in the fridge. The two small salmon fillets have been turned into a spread for sandwiches, the eggplant chickpea stew was eaten for supper tonight. There is a portion of eggplant parma that I will have for my lunch tomorrow and hopefully Harvey eats the last leftover smoked sausage. So we are doing well on the using leftovers up front. I may do another switch and make stuffed peppers for supper one day this week. Got to use those up as well. Whatever is left I will chop and freeze. 

It is also time to start taking cuttings from various vines, and perhaps to bring in those plants I want to overwinter. According to the weather reports we will be getting pretty close to freezing temperatures overnight late this week or early next. This also means it is close to the time we need to start winterizing our home. Busy time on the old homestead as the seasons change.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

5 comments:

  1. I definitely don't want to think about that freezing word, unless it involves food! Please continue to stay safe - you and your family - and praying that they catch that guy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, I think your garden could feed the five thousand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it gets very cold early where you are. I can understand your concerns after the tragedy that has unfolded in your part of the country. I hope they find the perpetrator soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking at the forecast and the plants in the back yard are starting to look tired and worn out. So it's harvest time for the veg, and I'll let the flowers go to seed to harvest as well.
    You must have a large garden! I'd say enjoy the processing but I'm sure it is a lot of work.
    It seems the authorities don't believe Myles is here in the city anymore but I guess there are only a few people who know for certain. I'm sure he's had some help evading the police.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went out and picked a batch of beans for dinner and hubs picked all the cabbages as they were splitting. I see many cabbage dished in the next couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete