Friday, July 12, 2024

Moving Towards A Simpler Life

 


Simple living doesn't necessarily mean taking our clothes down to the river and beating them on rocks to clean. Nor does it mean doing without. Just like frugal and thrifty living to me it means being happy and grateful for what we have, no more keeping up with the "Jones's" or needing every new contraption. 

It means enjoying the simple things in life like a good homemade meal, family visits, making something with your own hands, and stopping to smell the flowers, even if the flowers are dandelions handed to you by your child or grandchild. 

Right now simple living to me, especially, means slowing down which in my case can be very difficult as I always seem to be needing to keep my hands busy. I am trying very hard to enjoy life as the heat of summer is upon us, taking time to enjoy the garden, picking herbs, and such for the winter or to make salves and lotions. 

Produce from the garden will be a bit longer before picking and processing. Harvey planted less and next year he is talking about leaving half the garden fallow and working compost and such into that, then the next year leaving the other half fallow and doing the same. I think that I will be paying visits to the farmers market a bit more on those years. He is actually slowing down his days and tasks quite nicely. 

Most days I manage quite well, but today I decided to get the cloth napkins done.... Have I managed to do so? Nope, and it is sort of causing me angst. Will I get them done tomorrow? Probably the majority of them, but still it is taking me longer than I thought, and I spent too much time at the machine and now my neck and shoulders are bothering me. Will this teach me anything, like I need to pace myself when working on crafts? Probably not, I still think I am a youngun and can keep right on working. 

Part of this is probably a leftover from when I worked and I needed to get X amount done on the weekends or the house would start to fall apart. Or at least in my mind it would fall apart. 

It more than likely does not help when Kurt asks me to do something for his friends or his school. I hate saying "No" and that makes more craft work for me. His friends stopped him from spiraling into a depression so bad that he could have considered suicide and this is also my way of thanking them all. Fact is those that have received prayer shawls or afghans have all been so very appreciative that it gives me a lift. His school have supported him through those same rough times and I know are still backing him against those idiots that want him to lose his job or are threatening his life. We are not close enough to where he resides to be a physical help so I do what I can to let everyone know I am very thankful they are there to help him out. Life does get complicated for us every so often. 

All this to say that living a simple life can become complicated at times and is something to work towards.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

7 comments:

  1. To me, frugal means no waste. One can spend on meaningful things, travel, fabulous food and using it all to it's fullest is frugal.

    Happy Friday evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, working outside the home makes the time you do get to spend at home so important to keep things running smoothly! I'm glad Kurt has such great friends at school to help him out when he needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! This has been a very simple living week here. So many ways of using up and getting a bargain and visiting with wonderful neighbors. Life can be so good when simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had hoped that those horrid idiots were no longer part of Kurt's world. I'm glad he has the support of his school, friends, and especially his parents.
    I wasn't a very good housekeeper when my kids were young, and it shows now in their homes. As I got older and they left home, my standards were raised and now I spend a good part of my time cleaning and trying to organize.
    Do take some time for yourself, avoid the mosquitos, and enjoy your garden and yard. It truly is great for the physical and mental aspects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like your son has been through a very difficult time Jackie. Thank goodness that he had such good and supportive friends to see him through it. I can understand how you might like to pay them back for the help they gave him. There are some very unkind, intolerant and malicious people out there, who don't seem able to allow people to have opinions that differ from theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your son has had a very difficult time and come out the other end, ni wonder you do all you can go support him when he asks for school items. I enjoy reading your frugal and crafty tips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's wonderful that Kurt has such supportive friends, coworkers and family as so many do not. I'm sure everything you do is greatly appreciated. I now it's hard but do try and pace yourself and give yourself down time.

    ReplyDelete