Thursday, July 25, 2024

Thrifty and Frugal Thursdays

Thrifty and Frugal


It has been very hot here, which means watering a bit more often if we want flowers or herbs or veggies and the water barrel is down to the dregs. So no more free watering for awhile. Hopefully we get some rain very soon.

What with two trips to the city fuel expenditure is going to be high this month, so I will be looking at ways to make that extra spending up.


When home I have been using every last little bit up and stretching things as far as I possibly can. The one item in the budget I can really control is grocery spending and that is what I plan on doing for the rest of the month and into August. 

Mending clothing, and I have a few items I want to re-fashion over the next couple of months.

Dehydrating as many herbs as is possible and collecting herbs and flowers to use as the base of various salves and lotions.

Making another Christmas gift, and planning some other gifts that I can make quickly for gifts.

Spending time at home making lists of what needs to be done before winter falls and what I need to stockpile in case of a bad winter, or prices going even higher. 

Picking fruit in the yard, made cherry pie filling and in a couple of days I will be making cherry jam. I hope there is enough cherries left to make another batch of pie filling.

Buying on sale, and if I don't have an ingredient substituting where and what I can.

Decluttered cookbooks, some Kurt took and some I need to copy some recipes out, and some to donate. Still more to go through, but it is a start. 

Looking online at properties in Regina for sale, also looking at apartments. It will eventually be time for us to move though I wonder if we will get a doctor there any easier than here.

Combined errands to save on gas usage and time.

Paid bills online, thus saving fuel and time.

Harvey saved most of the chicken wire we put around the bottom of the cherry trees to keep the birds from flying under the netting and made a sort of fence for the cucumbers to cling and grow up.


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.


9 comments:

  1. You have a good plan on cutting back expenses. Sometimes those things just pop up and cause us to make different choices. I think you have been doing great with the groceries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s been so hot that I’m nervous about both my water and electric bill. We’ve been eating simply due to the heat and our appetites are not what they used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all sounds excellent, very carefully thought out. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound very busy. I don't have the skill to remake clothing so think it's awesome that you do. We've had an usually dry spring and summer. We initially had lots of rain, then nothing. I've only watered my half dozen pots of annuals, so far the regular flower beds have faired ok...not great, but I've refrained from watering. I should look into a rain barrel for next season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a good 10 minute downpour last night about 3 a.m. and my daughter has been emptying the de-humidifier water into the rain barrel. That should help with the watering for a few days at least.
    Prices in the city seem to be climbing still, despite the interest rates. I laugh when people tell me that no one is buying because apparently someone is.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We haven't had rain in forever, and really need some, both for the garden & also to help prevent fires. We had a pretty frugal week, but last night Sam, his GF & I had a movie night and ordered takeout. I had a gift card which made it pretty inexpensive, but takeout is always a splurge - for the waist line & wallet! (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are very big on mending too. There's always a few items to mend in our house and it seems like it's hard to keep up with them. My husband usually does the mending as I'm terrible at it! Lol
    If the piece of clothing really can't be rescued anymore, we usually cut it in squares to use as cleaning rags.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're happy that RC's balcony garden is producing - lettuce, herbs and the first tomatoes ripened yesterday. So good and certainly helps with the grocery bill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of very frugal activity going on in your house as always. I've got a few clothing items to alter after decluttering my wardrobe this month. It desperately needed it.

    ReplyDelete