Saturday, October 30, 2021

Saturday Roundup

 

As is usual lately the week has sped by. Sometimes I almost wish that things would slow down just a tad. 

This week has been much the same as other weeks during this pandemic. I wear my mask when I am around others, only visit with those I know are fully vaccinated, and even those visits are kept to a minimum. 

I have been working on crafts, but really have nothing to show for it. I had to pull back my knitting once again and start over. Hopefully third time is a charm. Mind you I have gone to an even simpler pattern this third time. 

So far I haven't seen any empty shelves, but more and more I am hearing from some I trust (and really crazy things from the conspiracy theorists) that this could in fact be a problem in the near future. Sure am glad that whatever happens I will be prepared for many weeks, meals could become a bit monotonous but we could probably go for a couple of months with what we have. 

Still being prepared is more than just having food. It is having the means to cook the food, staying warm, and having enjoyment in life as well. As long as I have crafts to do, books to read, and DVD's for entertainment I will be happy. 

The shopping for two weeks at a time seems to be going not too badly. I ran out of milk on the last day, so I have bought a bit more this time. I found that I would like the occasional milk base dessert (pudding) every so often.

The old homestead has been readied for winter. The yard is ready for to sleep, leaves are off all the trees and one more going over with the lawn mower should pick all up. 

As far as a loom goes I really have no room for a big one. I would like to get one that would make rugs about 2 or 3 feet wide, but about 4 or 6 feet long or table runners. One that would either sit in front of my favourite chair, or perhaps one that would be horizontal and could be set up on my table. Leaning towards one for in front of my chair though. Good ones are a fairly high price, but I want something decent that will last for a very long time.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


6 comments:

  1. I wanted to use a loom, having no space here I got a lovely table top one, much smaller that I would have liked, but with limited space, I got on well with the weaving, but I found the position I was in whilst weaving gave me back ache, I do have a weak spot and the weaving hit that spot every time. Sadly I sold my loom and the back ache stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do-overs in knitting are a constant in my life (crocheting too). My DH has (mostly) gotten over his horror when he sees me frogging something and just shakes his head. At least I've progressed far enough that I can usually figure out how to fix small mistakes in knitting without having to start entirely over again so that's progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sad to see the end of fall. I know I'll get used to the cooler weather - this morning I was out for about 20 minutes dealing with the wasp nests in the shed. At -11C it was a good time to get rid of them.

    I suspect shortages are coming, with the loss of 100 containers off the ship on the coast of B.C. and shutdowns at paper mills and meat plants due to Covid outbreaks, it seems inevitable.

    Your loom idea sounds wonderful. Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in California I am finding the shortages in the grocery store to be rather random and there is always something else that could be substituted or an alternate store has some. Hopefully it will stay that way but I suspect there will be additional shortages over the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have food here; it is more expensive and you just have to make choices. I do buy a little extra for my back room, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We always have a stock up in most things but living in our Suite, there is only so much room in the fridge. If shortages happen, which I will be on the list of someone who doesn't entirely believe that, we'll be two that are scrambling. :(
    As for frogging, when I knit (which is seldom since I learned to crochet) or even crocheting, it is a given for me. haha

    ReplyDelete