Friday, September 22, 2023

Frugal Friday


 A move back to regularly scheduled posts. Now that we are home once again, back to frugal living.

So what are my frugal 5 or so for this week.


1.  Harvey removed the sod, leveled the area, put down some fabric to keep weeds to a minimum, got some sand from a beach near us (with permission) and laid some brick behind our garage shelter. Saved a bundle doing it ourselves.


2.  Dehydrated the remainder of the sage, basil and thyme. I will probably be dehydrating more oregano next week. 


3.  Using up leftovers in the freezer to make meals this week. Today I am making soup stock. This will give us even more meals later on.


4.  No air conditioning the past few days as it has been pretty chilly out.


5.  Dried all clothing on the lines outside. 


6.  Added $45.00 to my savings envelope. I still have to do our change.


7.  Used up some pumpkin from last year to make muffins and a pie. Will be using up more tomorrow trying to make Plachentta (probably spelled that wrong). One of Harvey's favourite things that his mother made.


So what frugal past times have all of you been up to?


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


8 comments:

  1. Can you tell me how you dehydrate your herbs? A friend has some to offer me but I have never dehydrated any before….Basil, tarragon, rosemary and thyme. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a dehydrator, but you can dehydrate herbs in the oven. I did so before getting the dehydrator. The temperature should be fairly low and you will have to check every so often. It could take up to two or three hours to get them dry.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Likewise using things from the freezer. Also making a determined effort to not let food go to waste. I haven't used my drier in years, just hang things to dry, winter and summer. Mind you, I'm only doing laundry for one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, one thing I know I do a lot of lately is when I am at the store, I make a list and I look straight ahead. Yeah I see all the goodies, but I walk by never stopping I figure that saves me 100%.

    Since I enjoy decorating I’m always looking for something to fix up with supplies I already have on hand. Plus it keeps my mind active and engaged.

    Driving my plug in hybrid has saved us so much. Even when it switches to gas after the first 23 miles, we still get at least 100 mpg and more. I do try and stay within the 23 miles when I do my errands.

    I’m sure there’s more but that’s what I’m remembering for today.

    It does feel good to be frugal and save. God bless you Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished hanging three loads of laundry in our bathroom to dry. Playing catch up with the laundry after our trip so there's more than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Harvey have been busy since you returned home.
    It hasn't been particularly a frugal time around here, but the money we're spending (my son and I) is for long term purchases.
    On the other hand, I've been staying out of the stores mostly. I did pick up a new-to-me winter jacket to replace the one I've been using for many years. I paid $27 for it at the local Salvation Army thrift store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good week for you, Jackie. I love having the air conditioning off here too. Saving money on the electric bill! Woo Hoo! 😂

    ReplyDelete