Saturday, September 23, 2023

On To Skagway

 


Heading into Skagway port. It always amazed me how these large ships slipped into the dock so easily. However we will hit a day that getting into port was much more convoluted and we almost had to miss our visit.

Our excursion here was riding the train to the White Pass. So at least this time we managed to miss a bit of the rain. 

However, we did visit the main drag (if one can call it that) walking through the rain.

Pretty much the first thing we saw after getting off the pier. The railroad tracks run through this part of the city.


We walked through an area that had some of the first buildings in Skagway, this included some of the "cribs" that the ladies of the night worked in. We found out that this could in fact be a very dangerous job as many were found drowned in the water. I didn't get any pictures of these, but think of very small shacks with 5 or six small beds where the women plied their trade.

The above pictures however were of one of the "proper" families homes. The first shows the cabin that was their first home. The second shows their home after a few years. 


Just one of the interesting old buildings that lined the street. Really there was only one main street that showed the history of Skagway. 


An old steam engine and what Harvey called a borer. After our train ride I knew exactly what that borer was used for.


One of the newer engines that travel the rail.


To be continued tomorrow as I have lots of photo's of our trip up to White Pass.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


8 comments:

  1. This is fun. I love seeing all these pictures and hearing of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had a chance to ride the train. It's such an incredible experience. Were you able to come into Canada? When I was there in May 2022, we had to turn around before we reached Carcross, as the border was still closed due to Covid.
    I learned that Skagway exists only for tourism. There are no other real industries in the area, so when the season is over, most people leave town for other places. It still is a cute place and fun to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really interesting place. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m enjoying your photos too. The first one has beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing wonderful trip you've had.. some fantastic photos too, thank you for sharing them, they're places I've never been to so all very new to me. I guess you're pleased to be home with all your happy memories to look back on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love places like that - I enjoy seeing the old houses, the different architecture - very nice. Thanks so much for sharing. The first photo is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm enjoying 'traveling' along with you!

    ReplyDelete