Friday, January 5, 2024

Frugal Friday

 



As I sit here on the first Friday of the month of January, I find myself surprised that almost a full week has sped by. 

I thought I needed to give myself another look at the meaning of frugal and get the meaning deep down inside. If I want to become a bit more frugal over the next year, I better understand what that means. I refuse to be so sparing that life is reduced to a where can I cut costs attitude, I have seen where that leads. I just want to save enough to enjoy life as we age.

The Collins Gage Canadian Dictionary says frugal means avoiding waste not much to go on really. So yours truly decided to use her old friend Google for a bit longer definition if possible. Low and behold the definitions I found pretty much mirror my good old dictionary. Not really a bad definition, but one that leaves a great deal to be desired from my point of few. Guess that means each of us can define frugal and frugality the way we wish.

So what frugal things have I been up to this week?


1.  I have been very good at shutting off lights in rooms not in use, and in the evenings when I am knitting the only light comes from the one above my chair and perhaps some candles. It is cozy and warm looking.

2.  This year I have decided that if there is too much of something left over and it will feed the two of us it will be frozen. Too often I have left such things in the fridge to eat for our lunches and too often I have had to either eat it all myself or toss it. Not going to happen any longer. I am considering doing this even if only one portion is left and then have a clean out buffet.

3.  I wanted to see what I actually spent on groceries as our grocery budget line includes paper products, OTC drugs and medical paraphernalia, pet food (when Grandcat comes), and any cleaning supplies. So I found a small notebook and have listed the first shop of the year in it. This will be interesting. I will fill you in on my totals each month.

4.  Using up some small balls of cotton yarn making dishcloths. I need to replace some of mine, I also want some for the silent auction at the reunion, and I will put some away to use as gifts when needed. 

5.  Decluttered under the kitchen sink, and the coat closet was cleaned in the hallway. I found the button to fix my dress coat (which happens to be about 20 years old), I was worried at first that I would end up having to search my button jar for entirely new buttons. Things are looking much better in both areas. On to some more decluttering and organizing at some point today.


Everybody have a wonderful day.

God bless.


8 comments:

  1. I use a spreadsheet to track my expenses, and I break out the cat food/litter. I haven't broken out paper products and cleaning supplies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops I hit publish before I finished my comment. Glad you found your button. I have a dress coat too that I've worn maybe four times since I bought it 10 years ago. As long as I don't gain more weight, it should last at least another ten. :)
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the upcoming years, we'll all have to be frugal. Prices are on the rise, supply of goods is and will be hit by wars
    and Climate Change disasters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is getting harder to keep up with the rising prices so you are on the right track and much better at it than me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very good goal, Jackie.

    "I just want to save enough to enjoy life as we age."

    I wish you the best in achieving your goal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am wearing dress coats that were My grandmothers. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Resident Chef prides himself on using up every bit of food that he can. During the winter months he makes lots of soups that he divvies up into several meal portions that he then freezes. Often he'll have three soups on the go and we alternate them. Right now there's a vegetable soup, lasagna and spare ribs in the rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love entering all my expenditure into the different categories and being able to compare expenditure year on year. I did a comparison this December and it was interesting to see where some years I made real economies and other years where I was a little spendthrift. It was good for motivation for this year.

    ReplyDelete