Sunday, January 21, 2024

Sunday Ramblings




We attended Mass this morning, and then Harvey, feeling slightly guilty (I believe) over the next bit of damage he managed to inflict on my vehicle took me out for brunch. I told him things happen in threes and soon I was not going to allow him to drive the SUV. All I can say is that it is a very good thing that the weather is warming and will continue that trend for a bit. 

I have pulled out my recipe for homemade cough drops and I plan on making those one day next week. This should be an interesting experiment for me as I had a friend who swore by them (she passed away a few years ago) and it is her recipe. Gayle made these every year for her family.

I also went over the menu for this week, and decided to pull out leftover chicken (or it could be turkey) to warm up for supper rather than pulling a roasting chicken out of the freezer. Using up something before adding more to the fridge freezer. What ever is left I will make into a small casserole for the two of us later in the upcoming week. This meant all I pulled out of the meat freezer was a package of small pork sausages to make a casserole with on Monday (leftovers will be served on Wednesday). 


With prices seemingly on the rise even quicker than before, any little thing we can do to save on something can and does make a big difference to our bottom lines. Like many of you I find myself shopping sales, not purchasing something if it is too costly, and making do with what I have and using up all that I can. Planning on soup next Saturday and I have peas and ham broth to use up. Add a bit of carrot and one has a lovely pea soup. Our potatoes are getting slightly soft and so I think one day this week I will whip up some potato soup and put it in the freezer for a day when I don't feel like cooking. 

Groceries and cooking from scratch are perhaps the easiest ways to save money. However I am going to see if I can cut water usage (not sure how as of yet) and see about making more of our personal care items like cough drops, salves, lotions and the like. 

Making more blankets and quilts would enable me to turn down the heat a bit more as well. Half a degree or so at night would not make us uncomfortable in the least. Though perhaps turning it down during the day when we are active could be an even better idea. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

 

5 comments:

  1. Would you mind sharing the recipe for the cough drops? I've never heard of anyone making them before and I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking from scratch is not only money saving but it tastes better too. I have been layering clothes and using my throws to keep temps a little lower. It all helps.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to save water, too. It’s not easy. I save warm up shower water to flush, warm up sink water to wash dishes. Cups of leftover water go to the dogs or indoor plants. We have a water barrel for summer watering. I shower and wash hair twice a week and wash myself down in the sink the other days. (tmi?) When i boil eggs, the rinse water is saved to wash dishes. (We have a gas stove so it only takes a few minutes to heat dish water.) We’ve been doing this for several years and feels normal, now.
    I make salves, soap and have made lotion in the past. Not sure lotion is much of a money saver but you know what’s in it. I also make elderberry syrup. The cost of the berries have gone through the roof so it’s probably not cost effective unless i can forage some. I have not made cough drops, though. I’ll be interested in seeing how it goes for you. I always feel so accomplished after making something that i always bought in the past. This may open up a whole new world for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you share the cough drop recipe? I would like to try it.
    Thank You
    Tracey from oHIo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I bought OH a soup maker, I love having soups. So easy to make and so tasty. Great for using up vegetables from the freezer.

    ReplyDelete