Friday, January 12, 2024

Frugal Friday

 


During uncertain times, during rising costs, and during upheavals in the world it pays to be frugal. Being frugal does not mean being cheap. It means purposefully minding where your money is spent so that one can spend where one wishes to spend extra. It is enjoying a simple, yet elegant way of living. Frugal living is also taking care of the environment and using things wisely.


I keep reminding myself of that daily and hoping that I never move into the cheap category.

So here are my frugal five (or so for the week past).


1.  Using up items from the freezers and making big batches. I now have extra for the times I don't feel like cooking.


2.  Cleaning, organizing, decluttering my way to a more simple life. Once it warms up a bit I will have a couple of bags to take to the Salvation Army. Hopefully a few more down the road.


3.  Hand lotion use it up is moving right along. My hands get super dry when knitting in the winter. 


4.  Discovered that warming up a tray of freezer Eggplant Parma once is just great. Warming it up a second time makes it tough and inedible. I need to get smaller tinfoil trays for next year. What a waste of good food.


5.  Put in a new kitchen light above the sink on our own. Gives way more light than the old one, and the need for replacement of the fixture according to the box is 45 years. LED's are awesome.


In case anyone is interested we are under a weather advisory for extreme cold (frostbite could occur in minutes, pretty sure you are too Maebeme). The temperature this morning is -28C with the wind making it feel like -41C.

Got a bit worried about our sons and gave them a call (being in Mom mode to men who are in their 40's). Told them to dress warmly, and asked if they had enough food in the house to last through this. Both said this wasn't the first rodeo of cold weather they had been through and kind of metaphorically patted me on the head. Do we ever stop being "Mom".


Everybody have a wonderful day.

God bless.


15 comments:

  1. Resident Chef has discovered that it's best to only reheat what you are going to eat and not the entire pan - that way it doesn't go inedible....perhaps that would work for your eggplant dish?
    And no, we never stop being a parent. I once asked my well-into-his-80's Dad if he ever stopped worrying about me and he said never.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, we don't, and I think concern is totally justified. That weather warning sounds extreme and dangerous and I hope everyone will be OK. Take care and stay warm. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I totally agree with your definition of 'frugal'. It's not skimping and it's not being cheap, it's using your resources carefully and mindfully. xx

      Delete
  3. I love metaphorically patted me on the head! Describes so well what my 40 year old son has been doing for years. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s the one thing where I have to keep myself in check - worrying about my adult sons.
    Sounds like you’re all in the dregs of winter. Hunker down, stay warm and safe.
    Good frugal tips. My husband just installed a light over our sink. The light is bright with the LED bulbs. You’re right about being mindful about moving into the cheap category. I don’t believe you will because you’re aware of it. You’re doing good Jackie - definitely an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No we never stop being mom. My son refuses to wear gloves and I worry about frostbite when it is this miserable. But he's 36 and has a mind of his own.
    We have to replace and LED fixture in the bathroom, as the lights are enclosed in it and cannot be replaced. I do like LED's too for the brightness factor.
    It's currently -31C with windchill of -44C here in the city. I'm so grateful to be retired. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. However old they are, and mine are in their 60s, we will always see them as our children! I frequently get 'Oh Mother'! directed at me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having extras in the freezer for those times when you don't feel like cooking can be a godsend. And no, we never stop being Mom. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kids! My son is 59 and his part of the country is having really high temperatures. I dont think he would appreciate me phoning with motherly advice though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once a mom always a mom!!!! LOL They know you love them and care.
    Always nice to use what we have and to stretch things as much as possible.
    STAY IN AND STAY WARM

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think we do ever stop being Mum Jackie! I well remember visiting my late Mother in Law many years ago with my 2 small sons & she was anxiously waiting on a phone call from her youngest son to let her know he had arrived safely at his destination.
    I remember saying to her How old is Dwight now? (he was 41). She said to me "Julie - the Mother in you never ever goes away". Very true words indeed & I remember them often. Enjoy the weekend Jackie x0x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a son in his forties and one in his fifties and I can't stop being Mom either, especially to the one that is still single. But aren't they special at any age!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had -36C and -47C with the wind chill. Thank goodness for our wonderful neighbours. They shovel all our front, including our driveway. I just have to do our back deck and patio to get to the garage. It's supposed to be even colder tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, we never stop being a Mom. And sometimes our adult kids still need to be reminded to act sensibly. The number of "kids" I see out and about without coats because they don't want to bother proves that. Or the number in bedroom slippers. They don't stop to think, hey...the car might get stuck and how would I walk to safety in slippers and or no coat. They only think, I'm getting in my nice warm car and then going into a building. Nice definition of frugal. I too found out things don't reheat well the 2nd time round...well except for soups probably. I did some decluttering before we left for the winter quarters, but need to do a lot more on our return.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, we never stop being mums. I'm the same. LB turned 21 yesterday. I agree that LED's are fantastic. They give such off such bright light for so little energy.

    ReplyDelete