Thursday, January 25, 2024

Thrifty Thursday

 


This was a week of thrifty cooking more than anything else of a thrifty nature.

I used up some of our softening potatoes to make potato soup. Pulled the ham broth from the big freezer and made split pea soup. I also used up some of the sour cream that was just over it's best by date (still have a bit more to use). 

I combined errands that needed the use of the vehicle. Even though it is getting warmer out you still need to warm up the vehicle before you move.

I washed and ironed fabric so that it can be used and not worry about it shrinking. The last bit I washed I hung on the lines downstairs to dry. 

Lights are being turned off in rooms not in use, and in the evenings I only have one light on so as to see to knit. Mind you I really only have to see to measure at this point. 

I am using more appliances to cook and finding recipes we will enjoy I hope. 

Leftovers are being used up, and a very small bag of ham was pulled from the fridge freezer to add to the pea soup. 

Baked bread, and sweets so that we are not tempted to run out and purchase something ready made.

I mended a coat seam, sewed on some buttons, and darned a pair of socks. I may have to break down and purchase some new socks as a couple of pairs have more darning areas than original sock.

Still working on simplifying things around the house, that is a work in progress. Once done however will actually make the house easier to keep clean and organized. Lots to do in that area though. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.

6 comments:

  1. I know this isn't on your agenda, but the best way I've found to simplify things is to plan a move. I have a lot less of "I might use this someday" in my home now. I still have far too much stuff but it sure helped thin things out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always struggle with do I darn it again or let it go. Most of the time I darn them 2 more times then I should have. The same can be said of patching jeans. I am just so thankful that my family welcomes the patching and mending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do some decluttering this year. I haven't got around to it yet, but it's on my list. Well done on all your frugal measures this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have socks on my list of things I need as well. This cold weather we had recently really highlighted that fact for me.

    It's nice to wash and dry your fabric so it won't shrink when you get ready to use it for one of your projects.

    I hope you have a really nice weekend, Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been years since I've tried darning socks. I wasn't very good at it and would often get a sore toe where the patch of darning was so gave that up. Oddly enough I saw a very pretty darning knob in my facebook feed this am. As I was looking at it, I wondered if anyone actually darned socks now...then pouf, I read your post. Small world isn't it. The single best thing I've done to reduce food waste is to cook less and freeze left overs vs putting left overs in the fridge. Somehow when I put them in fridge we didn't eat them. Putting them in the freezer so time wasn't an issue made a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thrifty bit this week was my astonishment when I cut open a bottle of Aveeno moisturizer after the pump quit. I ended up scraping out nearly a full 1/2 pint jar of product...enough to last me at least another month. Wonder how many people would just throw it out when the pump quit spitting out product.

    ReplyDelete