Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Tuesday Tidbits

 

A bit cooler today than yesterday and now finally the sun is beginning to peek through the clouds. 

Harvey has been busy out in the yard. He found an old table that he is working on. Getting all the rust off and then will probably paint it with Rustoleum and give it to Kris for his deck. 

We have actually been decluttering a few things from the sheds. So our next trip up to visit with Kris will include us bringing some unused bricks to start his firepit off, a bug zapper to hang up, and an axe that we bought when we forgot ours at home one year when we went to a cabin that allowed outdoor fires. Probably stick some seasoned wood in there as well. 

I have been going for long walks and staying away from as many people that I possibly can. Tomorrow before my hair appointment I will test for hopefully the last time. Still hoping for a negative result. After all this time of avoiding Covid19 there is no way I want to come down with it now.

On my walks I have been trying to find places where I can forage for fruit and or berries.

I found this lovely chokecherry tree just around the corner from us on the valley edge.


I used to pick here every year, but as the trees grew around it, the pickings became smaller and smaller. This year because some of the branches surrounding the bush have been cut down, it gets more sun and is covered in blossoms.

Then down the back alley I discovered this.

A fairly loaded Nanking cherry bush. The blossoms have all gone now, but it looks like this little plant could produce enough small cherries to make jelly. 

I will be watching these plants like a hawk. Must be able to pick before the birds decide to eat all of the berries or fruit.

I will continue my hunt for other trees and bushes that can be harvested.

Trying my hand at making some dandelion oil. I did learn one thing, when you think you have enough flowers definitely pick more. 

Now I am on the search for plantains, a weed here on the prairies. I would like to try my hand at a dandelion/plantain salve. 

I figure the more I can make on my own the better off we will be.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.



5 comments:

  1. Making things from dandelions (beyond wine) is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose that if one does get Covid, it's a better time to get it with the less severe variant. I know I felt the same when I went down with it but it was lighter and I wasn't really ill, just grateful that is wasn't bad. It has given me a bit more confidence about going out and about now, even though I know one can get it more than once. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope your test is negative again.
    What sort of bricks do you have? I have several (20 or 25) of the small interlock paving stones, sort of a pink color that I would donate to the cause if they would work with yours. They've been in the backyard since I bought the house 12 years ago and aren't enough to do much with.
    Email me at maebeme59 @ gmaildotcom if you want them.
    Nice find on the chokecherry - I had no idea one could eat the nanking cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I sure hope your test is negative.

    ReplyDelete