Saturday, May 4, 2024

Saturday Round Up


 

Since it has been raining I consider the fact that I actually managed to get the bulbs in a major accomplishment. I will have to go out and work on getting my perennial bed weeded once again though. 

Not much happening on the old homestead. I have been working on a few things. Today after talking to my brother I pinned some of the triangles together for the next quilt. Haven't sewn them yet, but got a few twinges in my back so needed to take a break from that. 

I made a pie which Harvey and I enjoyed as dessert for a few days. Baked a loaf of bread, and made use of leftovers in the fridge. 

Bad Jackie went plant shopping today. I managed to get most of my herbs, all the lavender plants I wanted, and some flowers. Man the price of those have really risen. Here is hoping that I can manage the rest within my budget considering I have to purchase all the soil for my pots, boxes and planters. I also wish I could overwinter more, but no room in this house. Surprisingly I had way more room and light in the mobile home we used to live in.

My Hardy Kiwi came yesterday, but I didn't get the mail until today. It looks very healthy and should grow and then produce next year. We need to get everything set up to plant it by the end of the month. Looking forward to the privacy it will give us once fully grown and of course the fruit!!

Now I should admit to something. I have never used a store delivery service as I like to check out the produce I am getting. I thought that could be a way for those just starting on their frugal journey to save a bit of cash on their groceries. 

I am also lucky in that at least a day before a sale starts I get to check out the fliers of my two shopping places. I could actually go to another two places, but the meat at one is terrible, and the other is not conducive to easy shopping and I have heard nasty things about the customer service. I refuse to shop where people are made fun of for their choices. That is just plain wrong.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.




13 comments:

  1. Yes, plant prices have jumped a lot this year. We paid $30 for a hanging planter of flowers and I gave it some thought but we decided we get so much pleasure from having the hummingbirds visit so we went for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cost of hanging baskets is crazy, so I pretty much make my own. After living with white for almost 6 months I need colour in my life.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jackie ... plant prices have rocketed over here too. I had some time to browse the garden centre the other day - rather than just rushing & grabbing what I need - & I was shocked at the prices & how expensive things were. I have been trying to strike cuttings off my old woody lavender bushes to save buying new ones. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that the lavender plants we purchase were perennial and I could take cuttings. I am so tempted to try and over winter at least one or two if I could find the room.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are sure getting ready for the plantings!
    I have never done the store delivery thing either - I want to look at produce and look at clearance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely wanting to get things ready for colour over the spring and summer.

      Delete
  4. I had to laugh...Bad Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though Harvey really does not care in the least what I spend on plants... I still feel very guilty about it and it is not like we can't afford to do so.

      Delete
  5. It's been raining here this week too, and no one can mow with the wet grass. I've been working around here too, tidying up, cleaning, vacuuming, I guess the spring cleaning bug has got me too. I need to check the store ads today too, at least one of them as I'll be in the store while Bailey has her pt appointment. I gave my friend some sunflower seeds as hers didn't make it.

    I hope you have a beautiful Sunday, Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've thus far managed to resist the allure of the garden center. I doubt I'll be able to do so for much longer.
    Like you, I need to purchase dirt and mulch this year. However, I only have a half dozen containers to fill so hopefully that will keep my costs down. In the past I've purchased a hanging basket, split it in half and planted into my larger containers. It also helps my containers look full early in the season.
    Have fun playing in the dirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That doesn't sound much like customer service to me, more customer abuse. I've just bought some pelargoniums at the diy store. I like the white ones and couldn't find them anywhere else. I agree that the price of plants has really gone up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not looking forward to buying my vegetable plants because of the prices. But soon enough I have to.
    I hope to get some bulbs in the ground this week. So much rain and cooler temps again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For the boxes of dirt. I did this, not sure it's for you I'll toss it out there and as always, take what works and leave what doesn't. So I had these BIG boxes to fill with dirt. I didn't want to spend that much. I shredded old newspaper, used food scraps, tossed in twigs all at the bottom of the open boxes. There's no bottom, just ground. I did this most of the way up and then added dirt. What a cool thing, it filled the boxes and now, all of that stuff under, has become dirt. We can make our own dirt. How rootin' tootin' cool is that?

    ReplyDelete