Thursday, May 2, 2024

Thrifty and Frugal Thursdays

 Thrifty and Frugal   


It has been a fairly frugal week. The end of April was a bit spendy, but I think we have it all under control now. Well as under control as is possible at this planting time of year. 

Meals have been made with items on hand. I even made my own Greek salad dressing. So simple and Harvey loved it. I guess that means I will be making it as well as a few other easy to make dressings.

I am worried that what milk we have left might not last until my shopping trip this week, so when I made cheese biscuits to go with our soup last night I watered down what was left in the evaporated milk can from the fridge. It worked a treat!!! I do have some powdered milk that needs to be used as well. 

I pulled my box of fabric strips down to choose some for binding the baby quilt. I ended up using what was left of the grey strips. Talked myself out of running to the store and getting some green fabric.

Extra food has been used for lunches and if there is enough left it has been frozen to use for another meal down the line. 

Lately there seems to be a few slices of meat from the bags of roasts in the fridge freezer and I have been putting those in the sandwich meat drawer and Harvey has been loving the varied sandwiches he gets to make.

I used the downstairs lines a bit more this week. All the winter coats (well those that I could) were washed and hung up. 

I paid all our bills online. 

Managed to add $5.65 to the change jars and put $60.00 in my savings envelope. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really good week. It sure does add up doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I paid my bills today for the month! I saved $40 in utilities! I wasn’t expecting that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using leftovers, I try not to waste any food - even small amounts get frozen, or added to something else the next day. Sounds like you've had a good thrifty week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading the different frugal ways you use each week. I have even used a few of them myself. I wish I had the gardening gene but unfortunately my forte is hostas and weeds. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good going, Jackie. I find tinned evaporated milk versatile and very handy to use. I also water it down sometimes depending on what I'm making. Tony and I are trying to figure out how to set up a tidier drying system in the laundry room rather than the two lines we have strung across and the fold out rack. Always something else to sort it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely to be able to tuck a little bit into savings each month, isn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We make our own dressings with the favourite being an onion one (if you want the recipe, let me know!).
    Our trying to be frugal went a tad awry today because we went to our favourite nursery and loosened the purse strings to buy a hanging flower for our balcony. Somehow two houseplants jumped into my hands too (oops). I know it's early to be getting flowers for outside but we want one that the humingbirds like and those seem to be snapped up fast.

    ReplyDelete