Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Saving Money

Most of the blogs I read are either craft or living frugally. So I thought I would do a post on how we save money at our house.

First off I have found that cutting back on dining out cuts back on spending a great deal. When we do eat out we use a gift card or eat brunch after church. Wow, does that save a bundle and we actually eat healthier by knowing what is in our food.

I enjoy cooking (its the cleaning up after that gives me a problem or two) and can put together a decent meal at a very reasonable cost per person.

Another way we save money is by hanging as many clothes as possible to dry. Harvey does not like crunchy towels so those always go in the dryer, but everything else is up for grabs. In the spring, summer and fall the outside clothes line gets a good work out. In the winter things are hung on lines down stairs. It may take awhile longer to dry, but since I am just subbing now I have nothing but time.

Every bit of leftovers from a meal are saved and used in another meal. Sometimes it is soup (stock made from a carcass), sometimes it is a stew and many times it is a completely different meal. Take tonight for instance. I took some packaged frozen leftover roast beef and made stroganoff. Yummy, served over egg noodles. I also used up the last few mushrooms, and the half an onion in the fridge. Now I have another meal packaged and put in the fridge. Guess what we are having tomorrow night!!!

Sewing and mending are another way I save money. It is totally amazing to me to be able to sit down and make something the men in my life will wear. Last year it was robes, this year I made Kurt and Kris pajama bottoms and am busy knitting them sweaters for Christmas. The items are usually made better and last longer than anything I can buy in a store.

Tomorrow I will continue with ways we save.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.



No comments:

Post a Comment