Saturday, November 29, 2014

All Is Quiet........

While I am not up that early this morning (I actually slept in a bit after a very restless night) things are quiet in the old homestead and outside. One might even say, "Not a creature was stirring." The really strange thing is that not a truck, car, or semi has passed up the highway in the valley in what seems like hours.

Today I am going to share the leftover pork roast hash I made a couple of nights ago. The next time I make this recipe I plan on tweeking it a touch. I usually follow a recipe the first time I make it (though I did add mushrooms and green peppers to this) and then if it is well received start with the changes. This one was well liked by Harvey so it will be tweeked to perfection very soon.

This is it.....

Here is the recipe via Southern Foods on About.com.

Leftover Pork and Potato Hash

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
3 tbsp butter or margarine
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
a few dashes of Tabasco sauce or ground red pepper
2 cups diced cooked pork
2 cups diced cooked potato
3/4 cup cooked frozen peas
1 tsp paprika

In a large pan, saute onion and celery in butter until onion is soft and golden. Blend in soup, milk, Worchestershire, and Tabasco or ground red pepper. Add remaining ingredients and cook over low heat until heated through. Adjust seasonings after tasting.

Now my changes would include the can of mushrooms, the diced green pepper (one small or medium sized). In the next batch I make I am going to add another cup of cooked potatoes, and more of the ground red pepper. I used Hot pepper sauce and really a few dashes did not give the meal any noticeable kick. Adding more potatoes will make the meal a bit less on the creamy side and more like what I am used to from a hash type meal.

It did fill us up very nicely served with thick slices of homemade bread along side.

Cost of the meal as this serves 4 (probably closer to 5 as Harvey had two rather large helpings) is $1.63 per serving. I am thinking that the entire meal cost around $6.50 give or take a penny or two. The potatoes are from our garden and so cost pennies, and the soup was bought on sale for less than $1.00 a can. The leftover roast pork cost in the ball park of $3.00 for the package I froze, and the rest of the ingredients at a rough guess added up to the remaining say $2.00.

Everybody have a wonderful day.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment