Friday, November 21, 2014

Baking and Such

Today has been a very strange day weather wise. We got well above freezing today and the sun was shining all morning. At about 2 the clouds started to move in. We are still above freezing, but now there is a greater risk of that lovely freezing rain..... Which means driving to work on ice covered roads come Monday morning when the temperature drops once again.

Considering what is happening in New York State this really seems minor. My thoughts and prayers are with those that are stranded, or buried under snow.

Since I managed to finish my to do list early today, I decided to do some more baking.

First off I made these....

Two dozen bran muffins. I plan on using them for a quick breakfast and a morning or afternoon snack on those days I work next week.

Then I moved on to some Chocolate Chip Cookies.

This is one bag of the double batch I made. I tried a new recipe and really am not to pleased with how they turned out. I think for now I will stick to my Mother-in-laws recipe. They give me a bigger, chewy cookie.

Then I made those perennial favorites. Unbaked Chocolate Cookies.

I promised I would post the recipe awhile back so here it is.

Unbaked Chocolate Cookies

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup milk
2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
2 1/2 cups quick cooking oatmeal

Mix butter, milk, sugar and cocoa in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Remove from heat and add oatmeal. Drop by tablespoonsful onto wax paper. Cool and store. You should get about 2 dozen. Work quickly as the mixture hardens very fast.

After baking for most of the day, and doing the usual Friday chores, I did something I normally do not do. About a month ago my grocery had a BOGO free event. Taking advantage of it I bought these.....

I don't usually buy these as I can make them for about half the cost, but when they are on sale and BOGO free....well I couldn't resist.

Made them tonight just to save time and really they were not too bad considering they weren't homemade (I think we might be a touch spoiled here on the old homestead). Still have part of the bag left and some leftover from our dinner. Don't think I would make a habit of buying them, but if the opportunity arises I think a few packages for emergencies would be quite okay.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.



1 comment:

  1. Jackie, Your muffins and cookies look delicious. Thanks for the recipe for the Unbaked Chocolate Cookies. I don't keep cocoa on hand but will look for it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete