Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Putting The New Fridge Together and Other Stuff

 The days are slipping by so very quickly. The garden is taking up lots of my time, so other projects are taking a bit of a back seat. I am managing a few things, but not as much as I would like.


Yesterday was spent getting our new fridge installed and cold enough to move the food from the old fridge in. Took most of the day, but here it is.


All set up and being used (well except for the ice maker, according to the book that takes at least 24 or more hours). I love certain things about it, but hate some others. I am sure I will get used to it though.

Then this morning we took apart the old fridge, got it into Harvey's truck and he took it to the dump. That took up a few hours this morning. He also had to go to an appointment at the optometrist to get his field of vision test done. 

Moving furniture was next as well as reinstalling doors. 

I mentioned being able to pick plums at the neighbours and here is a picture of some of the washed ones. 


Harvey ate the first half that I washed and has started on the second half.

It has been really smoky here due to the fires in Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia. This is what the sun has looked like most nights as it sets.


This picture does not show how brilliantly orangey pink the setting sun really was. During the day I can't even see the power plant just south of us.

Harvesting the garden is on going. 



This is what I picked today, and there is probably lots I missed since I was fighting mosquitoes and canola beetles (they have moved into gardens since combining started).

I am going to change up a few things in this weeks menus, buy some freezer containers to make freezer pickles. I just do not want to waste anything at all. Mostly because costs of produce and other groceries are rising and will continue to rise for the foreseeable future. 

I also made apple sauce and got it into the freezer and even chopped/diced apples and dehydrated them to be used in muffins and loaves. No picture though sorry.

I did get a quilt top sandwiched and I hope to machine quilt it after grocery shopping tomorrow. Harvey always asks if we don't have enough, but the more we have the less I will worry about freezing if the power goes out this winter. I can always use them for gifts as well.


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.


7 comments:

  1. I love your new fridge! It is beautiful and looks very roomy too. You are getting a wonderful bounty from your garden. I'm sure the new freezer will help with the food you save for future use. I'm sorry you have all that smoke in the air. Please be careful outdoors as that is hard on your lungs. Take care Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice fridge! It's always a bit of challenge when something new comes into the house.

    Your garden is producing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Fridge, is the freezer on the bottom? Boy that would be nice. My son is tall and has to bend half way over to find anything in our fridge. If I get another one, the freezer will be on the bottom. Love this bountiful time of year, and all the fresh produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the freezer is in the bottom Faith, I love it and as our old one was the same this needed to be as well. I enjoy the fact that there are two sets of baskets in it. Makes finding items a snap. These actually seem bigger than the ones in the old fridge.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. Your post reminded me that I have dried apples in my pantry to use. Your refrigerator is beautiful and big, I love it! I hope you get years and years and years of use from it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a nice big refrigerator. Good for you. I'm counting down toward Fall - I absolutely can't wait. It's been the worst summer for us here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can never have too many quilts!

    ReplyDelete