Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Saving And Recycling

 Ahhh, middle of the week and things while cold outside are toasty warm inside.

So what have I been up to so far this week.



Using leftover scraps of clothing that I had cut into squares, and leftover fabric pieces that were too small to do anything with, to make a quilt. I am also using various colours of thread to hand quilt it and rid myself of some of those almost empty spools of thread. I should finish the hand quilting tomorrow or the next day and then will search for some binding fabric... I do have some grey that I could cut into strips if I don't want too much contrast.



Many years ago as a young child, I stuck an orange seed into one of my Mom's plant pots and amazingly it grew. So last spring I decided to try my hand at this once again. Since it seems like oranges no longer have seeds in Canada I stuck some lemon seeds in a pot. Watered them and waited. Well they grew and I repotted them and took them outside where they continued to grow. I brought them in at the beginning of fall and they are still growing by leaps and bounds. Wonder if I will get any lemons or even the blossoms. They do give a lovely touch of green in the living room. 


The celery in the crisper was no longer...crisp. So I cut off the root, and the leaves. Put those in the backyard for the bunny that is living under the deck. Stuck it in a bowl of cold water and it crisped back up beautifully. I used some in our tuna melts at supper, and the rest has been wrapped in foil and put back in the crisper. 

So that is how my day has been going, and I am going to head back to my chair and using the recycled cotton yarn work on knitting more dish cloths. A perfect end to a lovely day.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.



6 comments:

  1. Love the quilt. I've currently got some floppy celery in my crisper. I must try and crisp it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely relaxing day you had. I have never tried growing orange or lemon seeds but your lemon plant looks so healthy that I might give it a go.
    I love your patchwork, Jackie, I do wish I was better at sewing than I am.
    Have a great day today too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the quilt and the use of all those oddments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I love the celery hearts like you have pictured here. I’d say the bunny likes it too. That is so neat about your lemon tree. I was amazed at the orange trees when I went to California in 1985 as I had never seen one before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty quilt! I wish I had the patience and talent for quilting. It's such a good use of bits of material.

    Lemon tree, very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon, is impossible to eat. Do you remember that song? We sang it when I was a kid. Funny how some things come back to me with the smallest reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you will need two trees for citrus to pollinate and they do take alot of fertilizer to thrive. Great on the quilt.

    ReplyDelete